matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Inside Look at DCU’s Arts Societies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

There’s no doubt in saying that the clubs and societies within DCU are what makes this college what it is. With our exceptionally driven arts societies, there is a range of activities to choose from, no matter what your interest is. DCU has it all. Want to see for yourself? Well luckily there are a number of events coming up for you to tag along to and see first-hand what some of DCU’s best societies in the arts are like. 

First of all, let’s talk about DCU Drama Society. DCU Drama holds a host of regular events over the year such as their weekly ‘Drama Wednesdays’ which is made up of either an open mic night or karaoke. As well as this, they try to get in as many workshops as they can whether its confidence-building, improv, musical theatre or even sound technology, there’s something to cater for everyone. 

You can expect to see Drama all over campus within the next few weeks as they put on their end of semester one shows. After already showcasing their incredibly successful gig theatre piece, Love Always Charlie, you can catch their contemporary play Moment in St. Patrick’s Auditorium from the 20-21st of November ( if you were lucky enough to get a ticket) along with the annual DCU Drama Panto, The Dancing Dead from the 3rd-5th December also in St.Patricks auditorium.  

“We really do welcome anyone and everyone, whether they love drama, hate drama, or are there just to sing their song and leave. We want everyone to have a space where we can facilitate their creativity and allow them to take two minutes away from lectures and assignments and embrace the wonderful for a while”, said Kate Gurren, Chair of DCU Drama. 

However, it doesn’t stop there for Drama. Next semester will be even crazier for the society as they prepare for their contemporary show The Graduate, their Intervarsity piece Fosse/ Verdon and of course the amazing musical that is Rent. Sound like something you could be interested in? Keep an eye out for auditions coming very very soon!   

For the first time, the society will also be staging and plans to facilitate a member production where members of the society can submit their own original script for an hour-long show. 

“I found my home in DCU drama and I know my life would not be near as amazing as it is without it,” said Kate. 

If that isn’t enough reasons to make you want to join, they also won Best Overall Society at the Clubs and Socs awards in April earlier this year. So, what are you waiting for? Get on that buzz! 

Drama is not the only society taking DCU by storm this year as DCU Dance Society is everywhere and anywhere this year and rightly so! 

“DCU Dance Society’s main aims are to promote dancing in all its forms, provide a safe and nurturing environment for dancers, encourage, teach and all in all have fun!” said Eimear Collier, Chair of the society. 

As well as their four squads- jazz, Irish, contemporary and hip-hop, Dance also hold many weekly non-competitive classes for all levels which includes their Workshop Wednesday, open to all DCU students, where a professional choreographer comes in to teach a new style of dance. 

“You may hear us saying “dance is for everyone” a lot but we really mean it and our workshops and events like The Full Monty and Best Dance Crew really display this in the  best fashion.” 

Dance has also formed a performance squad this year for those who wish to dance and perform but not on a competitive level. 

“We are one big family, who look out for each other and encourage everything you do. Whether you’re a world champion or a beginner, we will always nurture you and push you to be your best self. Right when you walk into the door of a dance class, there is nothing but good vibes and support,” continued Eimear. 

After a successful Full Monty and The Experiment, Dance classes and workshops will continue for the rest of the semester. They are also in the midst of planning a little Christmas wrap party for all friends of dance so be sure to keep your eye out for that when it comes around! 

However, the action doesn’t stop there as in semester two you can expect to see more classes and workshops along with hosting DCU’s Best Dance Crew, a competition that gives other clubs and societies a chance to show off their dance moves. 

Finally, we have the fabulous new society that is Glee! This is the first year glee has been made a society as before they were part of the Music Society. 

Every week, Glee hold their ‘Glee-aton’ event where members can come together, hang out and relax while watching an episode of Glee

“I would really recommend to anyone who is looking at the events to come along, as we’re all about encouraging everyone to have a bit of fun,” shared Roisin Phelan, Chair of the society. 

Most recently Glee showcased their very first ‘Starry-oke’ event. A karaoke-style event combined with sing star…what more could you ask for?  

Over the next few weeks, the Glee cast will be having a few more performances, will continue with their weekly ‘Glee-athon’ events and hope to hold another ‘Starry-oke’ before the semester comes to an end. 

Second semester, you can catch Glee at their biggest event of their year, the ‘Glee Showcase” on 23rd March. This is an event not to be missed, so be sure to save the date! 

“We also hope to do some inter-soc events second semester as we are such a small society but there are many societies out there that we hope to join with to get more people involved” along with hosting a few workshops!” continued Roisin. 

With all these amazing events coming up, you are guaranteed to have a good time no matter what you choose to get involved with. If you want to become a member with any of the above societies, you can sign up at Clubs and Socs in the U building. 

You are capable of amazing things ✨
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.