This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Influencers have always been under scrutiny by the press and the public for not paying a high enough regard for the responsibility that comes with their following. 

The past year has been eye opening to anybody who pays attention to social media that they might need to deep cleanse their following list of people who have acted irresponsibly regarding public health measures.

The flashing of wealth and lack of thought given to the public as influencers jetted off to Dubai for a holiday or Turkey for cosmetic procedures no longer interested viewers. It was infuriating.

But in this change in attitudes and tolerance for influencers there was a change in what we want to see from the people we follow: empowerment, inspiration and responsibility for their audience. 

Sophie Murray, a 25 year old influencer from South Dublin has rapidly grown her following the past year through her charm, style and girlie chats on her instagram stories. Anyone with a TikTok account will have come across Sophie’s lust-worthy outfit posts and her affectionate name for her following: “girlie-whirlies”. Sophie has won over her audience with her honesty, positivity and warmth and her instagram feed will have you filling your ASOS bags to an unjustifiable amount. Her YouTube is also worth a look as she gives hauls of all her latest buys and gives advice to her followers on everything from relationships to self love. She’s our girl to watch for this year.

Gracey O’Connell, a makeup artist from Dundalk has also made waves on social media this year. Not only does Gracey give her followers informed and honest reviews on everything from skincare to makeup but she is also not afraid to get political or criticise her peers in her field. Her twitter account is full of relatable content (so much so that Jen Atkin, owner of Ouai Cosmetics used one of them in a PR box) that is a joy to see on timeline in the midst of all the heavier content on Twitter the past year. She gives long form opinions and advice on her Instagram stories where she doesn’t just tell her audience what to buy, but educates them on which ingredients are beneficial. All whilst showing her humour, wit and knowledge on the beauty industry. Her Instagram highlights are a go-to source if you are having trouble with your skin and have no idea where to start and her DM’s are open and approachable to anyone looking for advice. A true girl’s-girl.

Molly Roberts (better known as Mollerina) is a TikTok creator, Instagram influencer and podcaster from the west of Ireland. Molly is your go to source for self love chats, advice and killer outfit inspiration. She is unapologetic in her confidence and attitude and it is refreshing to see a young woman feel so comfortable to be herself on social media. Molly’s content ranges from girlie chats on her stories where herself and her followers share their troubles from relationship woes to feeling insecure or self conscious to twerking tutorials and outfit posts on TikTok. The confidence Molly exudes and the positivity she promotes is infectious. She also shows her vulnerability and honesty in letting her followers know that she too, like the rest of us, has days where she doesn’t feel like the body confident queen she usually is. Molly is a true breath of fresh air on social media.

Whether or not influencers should be held to a high standard by their following has been argued by both influencers and their following for a while. If someone has shown themselves to not care or understand what they say to their large following, should they be criticised when they act irresponsibly? That’s still up for debate. However the ladies mentioned above are sure to bring some life into your feed without the controversy and scandals.

?Journalism student in DCU? Chairperson of Her Campus DCU
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!