Career

I Don’t Want The Career My Degree Is For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It’s me, hi. I do not want to go into the career my degree is for. For context, I’m studying Law and French. By God it is grating at me. Three years in and I’ve found that I genuinely do not want to be a lawyer or do anything professional with French. Don’t get me wrong, my degree has taught me so much and I’m eternally grateful for the opportunities it has granted me but I’ve just realised that it’s not for me.

So, I can hear you saying, ‘Hey gal, what are you going to do if you don’t want to do those things?’ Well, I am glad you asked. I’ve been looking at my options and I thought I’d share them with you. I know for a fact that I’m not on my own.

Postgraduate Degrees

Ah yes, more assignments and college. Postgrads aren’t easy, but they’re a great way to change your career path and gain a degree that can get you further from the get-go. You can do postgraduate degrees in almost anything these days and there’s absolutely something out there for everyone. Whether you want to teach or become the next Marie Curie you can find something that suits you and your goals.

Internships and Graduate Programs

Get paid to learn on the job? Uh yes please everyone! Who doesn’t love to learn AND get some moolah to do it? Internships and grad programs straight out of college are 10 a dozen, there’s genuinely one for every single thing you could think of in this universe! These are some of the most effective ways to learn when it comes to jumping into something new, you’re literally in the deep end! And hey who doesn’t love a challenge?

Take A Breather

The post-college gap year. Honestly, sometimes there’s no point in pushing yourself into making a big decision after closing a huge chapter of your life. You’ll have spent a good chunk of your early twenties in college and it could be difficult for you to adjust to life outside of something you’ve known for so long. Taking some time to travel, picking up a part time job or just sitting at home for a while could do you the world of good and give you time to think about what you really want from life and where you see yourself going.

It’s ok if your mind has changed. It’s ok if you’ve fallen out of love with something you once adored. As humans our interests change and so do our priorities. So, if you’re wanting to throw a curveball and change direction, just do it! Your journey in life will never be linear, and your early twenties are the best time to scribble all over the page!

Senior Editor. Your Culture Vulture. Law and French.