This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Looking for a part-time summer job? Applying for an internship? Trying to piece together a CV for after graduation? Well then look no further

A cover letter is essentially the most important part of a CV; it is the first impression you give of yourself. You need it to be clear, concise, professional and personalised. You could have the most amazing grades, experience and achievements on your actual CV, but if you have a sloppy cover letter, the employer may not even bother to review the actual contents of this CV.

Here are some useful tips on how to compose an outstanding cover letter that will set you apart from the rest:

Personalisation 

Your cover letter needs to be tailored to suit the exact company and position you are applying for. If you’re submitting CV’s to 100 companies, you need to have 100 individual cover letters to go with each one. It’s your perfect opportunity to showcase that you know about and have done research into the history of this company. You are now expressing your interest in only this company in their eyes, meaning they’ll feel you really are passionate about getting the job.

Show Off

Don’t sell yourself short. This is the perfect place to drop some skills and experience that you have and explain why it would help you in the position you’re applying for. For example, writing articles for Her Campus will most definitely come in handy if you’re applying for a journalist position. Any achievements or successes you’ve had can go on the cover letter too, if relevant of course.

Don’t Be Vague

You can use the contents of your CV to be vague about specific jobs you’ve had in the past, but you need to be specific about what you discuss in your cover letter. Using the same example as above (applying for a journalist position), stating that you’ve written over 60 articles for Her Campus over a 2 year time frame mainly on the topic of News and Entertainment shows the genre of your writing, the volume of work you’ve produced and how dedicated you are to it. If discussing relevant experience and skills, be specific about why they would help you succeed in the position you’re applying for.

Be Concise

As much as you need to be specific, being concise is equally as important. You cannot ramble on for an entire page about only one skill that you have that will prove helpful for the job. You need to be short and sweet in what you’re saying, otherwise they’ll lose interest in your application. One page should be enough to include everything.

Format

The layout of a cover letter is exactly that: a letter. At the top should be the date and address of the company. After addressing the relevant person, state what position you are applying for, what you’re enclosing in the application (CV, references, any relevant certifications etc.), your key experience and skills and your interest in the position. Following this should be your contact details. Sign off in a professional manner, and keep the tone of the letter formal.

Additionally, DCU offers Career Planning Services if you ever need extra help composing a CV, or in general with job applications.

Hopefully, these tips have you primed and prepped to create the perfect cover letter for jobs, internships, post-graduate positions and everything in between!

DCU Communication Studies 1/2 of the Her Campus P.R.O Team
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!