Style > Beauty

How Was the Jeffree Star X Shane Dawson Conspiracy Collection Release?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

The Jeffree Star x Shane Dawson “Conspiracy” collection broke the internet on November 1st selling a groundbreaking 1 million palettes in its first half an hour.  

The much-anticipated launch consisted of two palettes, a collection of liquid lipsticks, a clear gloss and lip balm, as well as merchandise such as pig mirrors, tracksuits and makeup bags. 

The launch faced complications with some fans waiting hours to order due to Shopify, the platform used by the Jeffree Star Cosmetics website to sell their products crashing due to the volume of fans on the website that morning. 

The entire collection sold out regardless making this collection the biggest launch for the brand to date. 

Fans have followed the creation of the collection in Shane Dawson’s series “The Beautiful World of Jeffree Star”. The series shows the behind the scenes of the mogul’s company from designing the concept of the collection to negotiating an exclusive deal with Morphe to sell the products. 

“This has never been done before in the makeup world. I’m not the gatekeeper of every brand but every brand will be shook because my quality and my cost of goods is a lot more expensive. You will be shook when you dive into brands that are in Sephora and Ulta and their cost (of goods) is so low and they’re charging an astronomical amount. It’s insane,” Star told Dawson in the series. 

Influencers such as Nikkie Tutorials and Trisha Paytas, who has a shade named after her in the collection, have given the collection rave reviews on their Youtube channels. 

Nikkie, who was the centre of some controversy in the beginning of Dawson’s series regarding a past collaboration with Too Faced, praised the effort and thought that was put into the packaging of the collection. Despite the fallout in the shadows of the Conspiracy palette, the colours were pigmented and blended seamlessly. 

“There is a lot of smokiness, sexiness, glamour going on. This is a truly unique palette that you can wear on a daily basis for a soft look but you can also dive in for a little bit of an adventure” she said.  

Paytas, a long-time friend of Dawson and Star said she was honoured to have a shade named after her in the collection that the collection is “iconic,” in her unboxing video. 

“This will be the only palette I will ever let a glam person use on me. This is the be-all end-all palette,” she said. 

Many Irish fans were disappointed to find their palettes damaged with some shades smashed when they received their palettes from UK website Beauty Bay, the main distributor for Jeffree Star Cosmetics in Ireland. 

A restock is not due until early 2020 but some fans were lucky enough to be able to pre order the last 60,000 palettes that were available for this year on November 7th. 

Fans will get to see how the launch went down behind the scenes as Dawson is still filming for his series. The date for the next episode is yet to be announced. 

?Journalism student in DCU? Chairperson of Her Campus DCU
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.