Anna Schultz-Girl Exploring Sand Dune
Anna Schultz-Girl Exploring Sand Dune
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

How To Staycation Like A Pro This Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Reading week is approaching and idk about y’all but I am for sure making good use of my time off. Being a final year student, all my professors are begging us to spend our time wisely, writing and chipping away at those pesky little thesis. However, being a final year student also means one last semester of all the good student prices! So let’s dive in and explore all that Ireland has to offer, in terms of staycations! 

Dublin

Okay, hear me out. Yes we all study and live in Dublin, but you can still make it interesting and find new things to do. Why not take the DART out to Dun Laoghaire in the early morning and have a dip in the sea? If that’s not your thing there are always a mass of weekend markets to take your fancy. Dun Laoghaire is also full of gorgeous restaurants and cafes, so go ahead, treat yourself! 

Galway

Galway city is definitely up there in my top five places in Ireland. It’s just so stunning. It also happens to make the most perfect weekend getaway. Being a nifty lil student and deal hunter, you can always find cheap accommodation. Rooms on Airbnb start at ninety euro per night for two people, which is a steal tbh. The bigger hotels like the Galmont, the Menlo Park or the Connaught will set you back a small penny but it’s worth keeping an eye for deals. You can also get a return student ticket for sixteen euro, so what’s not to love? Now all that’s left is to decide where you’ll have dinner! 

Belfast

I genuinely cannot say enough nice things about Belfast. The nightlife is great, their Christmas markets are just stunning and don’t get me started on the cute as shit accents. This city is perfect for a weekend break. Prices for the Aircoach are a tenner for a single, so only a few euro more expensive than the train! As for activities, you’ve no shortage of options, from the Titanic Museum to St Georges Market & the Botanic Gardens. Plus, the Ulster Hall is a spectacular venue for a concert, so that could be a shout. 

Killarney

If it’s a quiet, relaxing break you’re after, Killarney is my top choice for you. Once again accessible by train, you can book a cheap B&B from the many or splash out and stay in either the Brehon or the Gleneagle. The Gleneagle is home to the INEC arena, so a concert could be a good idea here too. Alternatively, take a trip to Muckross House and take a trip back in time. Note: a car is required. If you don’t have access to a car, there are some lovely parks in Killarney to stroll around. 

Irish, Journalism & Digital Media student. Slow fashion advocate. Lover of knitting, cats and Taylor Swift <3