Style > Decor

How To Make Your Home Feel Christmassy on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF FAIRY LIGHTS.  

Christmas is a gorgeous time – putting up our Christmas tree and making our home feel Christmassy is one of my favourite times of the year. Sometimes, depending on where and what you buy, it can be expensive. Luckily, your girl here has found ways to make it cheaper and to make your home look and feel Christmassy on a budget. Here are my favourites: 

1. FAIRY LIGHTS, FAIRY LIGHTS, FAIRY LIGHTS 

Fairy lights are one of my favourite things. They are great for Christmas – put them around your house or apartment and instantly feel warm and Christmassy. They’re not even too expensive either if you buy them in Dealz or Eurogiant prices can range between €1.50 – €3.00. you can wrap them around plants to accentuate them, or around pictures frames – anywhere that brightens your home and makes it feel warmer. For more decoration ideas, you can even put them inside mason jars which would look gorgeous as decorations on your table! If you want to be even more Christmassy you can even fill the mason jars with some fake snow and maybe even a branch of Holly and place the fairy lights in as well! A lot of fairy lights are also battery-powered, reducing electricity costs – buy a pack of batteries and you’re ready to go! 

1. Reuse Last Year’s Decorations 

If you reuse last year’s decorations, the possibilities are endless! It’s a great way to reduce waste and keep costs low, as If you store them properly during the year, they are there for you to use again. If some items aren’t exactly fit for purpose anymore, there are many other ways you can use them to decorate your home for Christmas! For example, if the string on your baubles has broken and therefore, they cannot hang on the tree anymore, place them in a large jar and put them on a shelf or on your table – there you have it, another Christmas decoration that (depending on what you already had) probably cost very little, if not nothing! 

1. DIY It! 

There are some great decorations that you can make from scraps found at home or out and about. For example, you can use twigs to create a variety of shapes – one of my favourites is a star. Bend the twig in the desired shape, bind the meeting point with string and line the star with fairy lights. If you attach this to string you can create a gorgeous hanging decoration. 

Paper decorations are also amazing, and paper is very versatile. You can make so many things including snowmen and snowflakes to name a couple. 

You can also DIY your wreathe using flowers, pinecones, twigs and even ornaments! This can be a really big help as wreaths are often extremely expensive! 

1. The Tree. 

I know buying a real Christmas Tree is an amazing thing and the smell cannot be beaten. But really, its such a waste. It’s expensive, and you have to buy a new one each year while the one you had gets dumped. Instead, buy a fake Christmas tree. This way, you can use the same one for years until it starts looking a bit shabby! This saves you a major cost. If one of your favourite things about real Christmas trees is the smell; you can buy Christmas Tree scented air fresheners and sprays! While it won’t be the natural smell of a Christmas tree, it still adds the smell of a real Christmas tree to your home. 

1. Glitter! 

Take your old plain-looking ornaments that haven’t been had a glow-up in forever, and spray paint them with glitter! These are also items that can be kept and reused for years to come! 

My name is Emma, and I'm originally from the north west of Ireland! I'm a journalism student in DCU, and have loved reading and writing ever since I was young. I'm a big lover of music, and also do some modelling work on the side!