This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Struggling with your mental health is tough. We all struggle from time to time but the main question we always ask ourselves when we’re struggling is, why? Why do I feel like this? Why am I stuck in this slump?  We hate to mention it but Covid has a big part to play in the way we have all been feeling the last 18 months and it does feel like coming in and out of bad days and moods is just a vicious cycle. 

Feeling low in yourself can sometimes be hard to accept but it is a natural occurrence. A slump really can make you feel as if something is wrong with you but trust me there is nothing wrong! You are amazing and you are going through a similar cycle as everyone else. Some of us just deal with it all a little differently. As cliché as it sounds, learning to accept the bad days is honestly the first step to making it easier to get out of that slump.

Getting into a slump can last hours, days or even sometimes what feels like weeks but there are so many ways to pick yourself back up when you feel a low coming on to prevent you from feeling down for too long and letting it consume your life.

If you find life getting on top of you and the workload piling up take it bit by bit. Taking on too much at once is not good for anyone’s mental health and especially during this time of year things are starting to get crazy. The end of the semester is approaching, assignments are starting to pile up and the Christmas season is just around the corner. 

The best thing to do is make a list. I know, I know I sound like every self-help article or post but honestly it helps. Making a list, starting with the most important thing that needs to get done and working your way down and ticking off the tasks as you go will help reduce any stress building up.

Another thing to remember is looking after yourself. This can be as simple as taking a breather and going for a walk with no distractions and taking in nature. Or, meditating at home. Or even watching your comfort movie (10 Things I Hate About You anyone?) Making you and your mental health a priority. Yes, deadlines coming up are stressful but keeping a checklist and allowing yourself time to relax in between your list items will help a surprising amount.

Lastly, getting support is so important. You may talk yourself out of it and tell yourself you’re a burden but trust me no one thinks that at all. Your friends and family are there to talk to. Knowing that you’re okay and that you’re able to open up and talk to them about any stresses or how you’re feeling in your life will make them feel better. We’re all in this crazy thing called life together, we all experience these problems and have our own little issues going on, but talking and being open with the closest people around you is so important. 

Your loved ones are there to talk to and to help. Trust me, having that person to talk to makes a world of difference.

💫 22 📍Leitrim, Ireland 📸 Social Media Officer at @hercampusdcu 🎓 BA Communication Studies DCU