This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Finding it hard to work hard and play hard? Having a part-time job in college may be necessary for many reasons. From paying rent to needing enough cash on a night out. At HerCampus, we understand that playing the balancing game isn’t easy.

Here are some tips to keep your working life and social life in perfect harmony.

Use A planner

If there is one thing you take away from this is that being organised is key! Now, that is easier said than done when it comes to having 25 impending deadlines and a roster that changes every week. Worry not, for a planner will fix all of those problems!  

Whether you prefer a physical planner or a digital one, start by filling in all deadlines you know are set in stone and will not change. This will be your starting point and will allow you to see the pockets of time you have in between.

Afterwards, fill in the times you are working. This may be on a rolling basis or if you work on certain days, block that time out on your calendar. Colour coding your commitments will not only make it easier for you to see them at a glance but also make your planner pretty.

Schedule in ‘me’ time

Setting times in your calendar for self-care is just as important as socialising with your friends. When times get hectic, we can often forget to block out time for doing things that make us happy. “Me time” can include anything from when you are going to hit the gym to Netflix on the couch. Prior commitments will determine whether you utilise weekends or weekdays for such activities. 

Party time!!!

Coordinating your schedule with your friend’s schedules is where things may get a little tricky. There is a high risk of appointments clashing or simply being unable to change around a shift. If you are in a relationship, plan activities ahead so that you are still making time for each other. Socialising with your friends can be more spontaneous such as grabbing a coffee after a lecture or walking your dogs together. 

Avoiding burnout should be at the top of your list of priorities. Remember that every week won’t be the same AND THAT IS OK! Take it day by day and have fun. 

HerCampus DCU Co-Chairperson