This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Honestly, reading week couldn’t have come soon enough. After six long weeks of lectures, presentations and assignments, students are sure to be worn out and in need of a week of lie-ins. We’ve come up with some tips to get you through the second half of the semester. 

Plan for the week ahead 

Dust off that daily planner you bought with the best of intentions in January and haven’t opened since week two. It’s okay, it happens to the best of us. Write down your assignment deadlines and any other important dates to motivate you to get your work done on time. 

Get more sleep 

Students have incredibly busy lives and often neglect sleep in favour of studying, working or sometimes, watching Netflix. However, sleep is vital for our bodies to function properly and we should all aim to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. 

Spend less time on social media 

Often, we spend can spend hours scrolling and refreshing apps on social media, which leaves us feeling bad about ourselves because so and so is off on holiday while we’re cramming for an exam. Social media can have a detrimental effect on our mental health, and it’s important to take time out. If you have an iPhone, the Screen Time feature is a great way to monitor your social media usage, and the amount of time you spend online may shock you. 

Plan an event to look forward to 

Whether it’s meeting up with a friend, going out or attending a match, having something fun to look forward to is sure to motivate you to get through the college weeks. 

Set small goals 

Setting small targets is a great way to achieve success in the long run. Maybe you’ll write 400 words for your assignment or spend 30 minutes studying for an exam. Make a list and then tick your goals off as you meet them, which will improve how productive you feel. 

Eat healthier  

A balanced diet is key to giving us more energy, so we have to make sure we fuel or bodies with the correct food. Fatty fish such as salmon has been proven to increase brain power. Preparing your meals in advance helps as it stops you from reaching for sugary snacks when you’re hungry. 

Exercise 

As we all know, exercise releases endorphins which make us happier while it also increases our energy levels. You don’t have to have a gym membership to exercise; there’s plenty of great workout channels on YouTube, including FitnessBlender, Popsugar Fitness and Blogilates. Exercising for three to four days a week is a small commitment that will improve both your mental and physical health over time. 

Treat yourself with something small every day 

During these busy times, you deserve to take time away from the stress of college life. Put the books down and spend time doing something you love, like reading a book, or watching Netflix or YouTube videos. Your happiness and wellbeing are important for you and your friends and family, so look after yourself. 

Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!