This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Being banished into another lockdown has once again halted everyone from deleting the infamous conference platform, Zoom. From doing online college to applying for jobs, many student’s lives are now lived on this app. More and more recruiters have switched to doing virtual interviews as a result of the pandemic. Here are some tips on how to smash your next Zoom interview to get your dream job! 

Preparation 

Doing a practice run is always advised. Set up a Zoom meeting with yourself and practice speaking the answers to basic questions such as “Tell me about yourself” out loud. As in a regular interview, knowing your CV, the job description and company background is essential. If you need to share your screen, ensure that you have no other tabs open. This might distract from what you could be presenting. Before the interview, check that your microphone and camera are also working. Of course, check your internet connectivity and charge your laptop to avoid any unexpected disruptions. 

Setting

As you are now doing an interview from the comfort of your own home, choosing the correct and appropriate setting is really important. Experiment with the lighting but try to sit in front of a window so the recruiter can see your beautiful face clearly. Try to have a neutral background such as a solid coloured wall behind you. Make sure that you are inframe and not too close or far away from the camera. Being in a distraction-free zone will ensure that all the attention is focused on you. Although, having a few tasteful objects around you can make the interview setting look polished and shows you have an eye for detail.

What to Wear 

One of the only joys of Zoom meetings is that other people can only see you from the waist upwards. This is a huge advantage as it removes the hassle of having to pick out an entire matching outfit. As a job interview is still a professional event, you can still have your best blouse and blazer moment. Avoid patterns such as checkers and chevron as the camera often distorts the item of clothing. Instead, opt for a neutral combination of colours such as tan and black. As far as makeup goes, keep it natural! A glowy base, a bit of blush and a light shimmer on the lid will be plenty. Remember to still be yourself even if it is through a screen.

Making a Long-lasting Impression

Speaking to Business Faculty Rep and final year Aviation Management student, Kate Goodman, her advice for succeeding at any job interview is to “fake it ‘till you make it”. Virtual interviews are tough but the way you present yourself and your body language say a lot about your confidence level. Talking about her interview with the aviation company, Ryanair, having a well-versed CV with plenty of extra circulars will make the interviewer more invested in you as a person and your passions. It is even more essential than ever in this virtual environment to create a sense of individuality! 

Before you know it, the memory of a virtual interview will be a long and distant one. You are so capable of getting your dream job no matter which path you must take to get there!

HerCampus DCU Co-Chairperson
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!