How to get the most out of the Pomodoro Technique

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

For many college students, time never seems to be on our side. There always seems to be something else to do; a wardrobe that could be cleared out, a coffee with friends or checking prices of flights for holidays you aren’t physically capable of going on. 

If you are a serial procrastinator who can’t seem to stay focused on an assignment or project for long without getting bored, the Pomodoro Technique may be for you.

Created in the 1980s by Francesco Crillo, the Pomodoro Technique is one of the most popular time management systems used today. It aims to provide the user with maximum focus and creative freshness. 

The basic structure of the technique is based on focused work sessions with frequent short breaks in order to stave off mental fatigue. 

The technique is simple and easy to learn: 

1. Pick one task that you want to focus on. If you are doing an assignment, this could be to read one article and take notes on it. 

2. Set a timer for 25 minutes and get working! 

3. When the timer goes, take a two-minute break. You can check Instagram, stretch your legs or get a glass of water, but only during the break. 

4. Repeat!

5. After four sessions, take a longer break (half an hour to forty minutes is plenty) 

6. Record each session with an X or a tick to keep you on track and motivated. 

The Pomodoro technique is really useful if you are a person who gets distracted easily while working on a project or has a tendency to instinctively reach for your phone every couple of minutes. It also works really well if you have a lot of repetitive and unstimulating work to do, such as answering emails. 

Studies show that a 25-minute session is long enough to get a little work done, but not so long that it feels painful or overwhelming. Unlike trying to sit at your desk for hours on end without a break, it is easy to stack smaller, more digestible sessions on top of each other.

Procrastination has little to do with laziness or a lack of self-control; rather, we have a tendency to put off negative feelings (like studying) and try to distract ourselves to boost our mood. The Pomodoro technique breaks down this cycle of avoidance and uses a reward system; for every session completed you get two minutes to go on your phone. 

You’ll surprise yourself at how much you get done. Now stop reading this article, set your timer for 25 minutes and go ace your assignment!

Economics Politics and Law student in DCU. Lover of creamy pints and wishful thinking :)
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!