How Does Dublin Nightlife Compare to Other Cities?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

As the capital city, Dublin is seen as the main hub for food, nightlife and culture in Ireland. It has some of the most famous clubs/pubs in the country such as Copper Face Jacks (Coppers) and Dicey’s Garden which all facilitate a great night out. Other great venues are Whelans, Ryans, Flanneries, Krystle, The Academy, O’Reillys, and McGowans. The list goes on. With most people making the assumption that anywhere outside of Dublin is less lively, many other Irish cities are disregarded when in reality their nightlife is on par if not better than Dublin’s. Here are a few cities that live up to Dublin’s nightlife. 

Cork City

Cork is a bustling city, full of various nightclubs and pubs which make it a social centre for students and nightlife.

The Voodoo room on Oliver Plunkett Street is a two-floor nightclub with a cocktail bar which is popular with students and young people. This buzzing nightclub is a great spot for anyone looking for a dance on a night out. Other Popular night clubs in Cork worth a visit include Havana Browns (Corks longest running nightclub), The Secret Garden and Gorby’s.

For a more chilled, no less exciting night Rearden’s is the place to go. As Corks biggest Sporting venue, the atmosphere in the bar is electric. Like most bars in Cork, they regularly have live music which makes it an excellent place for a casual night out.

Winner of Ireland’s Top Bar of The Year 2018, Cask Bar on MacCurtain Street is a great spot for socialising. The team in Cask have built a reputation for producing the most creative and innovative drinks menu in Ireland and focus mainly on local ingredients for their cocktail menu.

A nightlight in the social calendar in Cork is The Cork Jazz Festival which is Ireland’s biggest jazz event and attracts hundreds of musicians and fans to the city each year. It is normally held on the October bank holiday weekend and is an unmissable weekend for any music lover. 

Galway City

Galway is one of the most exciting places in Ireland and has so much to offer when it comes to nightlife. It’s full of beautiful and unique pubs and clubs and has some of the best beer gardens in the country. With its large and growing young population of students and locals and fun-loving tourists, Galway’s nightlife is one of the cities main attractions.

The Garden at An púcán is a unique and beautiful outdoor beer garden like no other. Located at the back of Púcán bar, it resembles an enchanted walled garden and is beautifully decorated. It’s the perfect spot for a few refreshing drinks on a warm summer’s day. For an old fashioned night out O’Carrolls bar has a homely pub feel with a retro beer garden outback. It’s the perfect place to start the night. Another amazing bar that warrants a visit is O’Connells in Eyre Square. The beer garden is partly covered and heated and has set the benchmark for all others in Galway city. There are so many traditional pubs with live music in Galway that it’s impossible to name them all but the city is just as good as the nightlife in Dublin, if not better.

You couldn’t talk about nightlife in Galway without mentioning the famous Roisin Dubh bar. The large rooftop terrace is a good option for a late-night drink but is extremely busy on the weekends so expect to be standing. 

The abundance of pubs in Galway makes it hard to leave for a nightclub but they are not short in that department either. Karma, The Black Gate, Halo, Electric Garden and Carbon are a handful of the cities most popular nightclubs. The majority of clubs are in the city centre near Eyre Square with easy access to taxis, hotels and restaurants.

Galway is also a destination for hen and stag parties too so the nightlife scene is anything but boring.

Limerick City

Like most Irish cities, Limerick has experienced a surge in the number of young people living and studying there. From disco to funk to techno and more this city has a growing vibrant music culture. Limerick is full of places to have a great night out.

Known for its lengthy games of beer bong, Costello’s tavern is a place you’ll find students and even older people bopping away to the music. Costello’s has a real homely vibe but if you’re looking for a lively night out, it’s the place to be. It’s also only €5 entry, which compared to most nightclubs is a bargain. If you are 20 or over then the Icon is the place to be. It’s usually the one club that’s packed. It has two floors, the bottom floor for classics and the top floor for the latest chart-topping music. Trinity rooms, Nancy Blakes, Jerry Flannerys bar are just a few more places worth a visit in Limerick.

?A Wellness Gumdrop? Helping students BREAK bad habits, SMASH goals and live their BEST LIVES through all things health, manifestation and storytelling? ?CC/Editor in Chief at Dublin City University ?Spreading those goody good vibes with you DCU Global Business Student '20 aziamto.com ig: @azia_mery linkedin.com/in/azia