This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Self-esteem is how we value and perceive ourselves. We are often our biggest critics and find it hard to change our own opinions of ourselves. The things that affect our self-esteem are different for everyone. They can be things like losing a job or finding it difficult to get one, problems while studying, physical and mental health problems and worries about your body image, to name a few. Here are 10 tips for boosting your self-confidence.  

1. Exercise 

This is a great way to practice settling goals and increase motivation. You don’t have to join the gym – if you prefer you can do an exercise class or go for a walk. Breaking a sweat releases endorphins, which are the feel-good hormones. 

2. Clean out your wardrobe 

If you’re hanging onto clothes that you don’t fit into anymore then get rid of them. Hanging onto them will constantly make you feel low about yourself if you feel like nothing will fit you.  

3. Do what makes you happy 

Schedule time for things you love. This can be reading, painting or watching a Disney movie. The more you do this, the happier you’ll be. 

4. Surround yourself with supportive people 

Only be around people who make you feel good. Avoid anyone who makes you feel bad about yourself; it doesn’t make sense to do that anyway. 

5. Celebrate little things 

You started an assignment early. Great! You got complimented on your hair. Celebrate it and feel good about yourself. 

6. Forgive  

Is there someone in your life that you haven’t forgiven? You don’t have to have them in your life if they are negative, but let go of the feelings of resentment. A weight will be lifted off your shoulders. 

7. Stop comparing yourself to others 

The only person you should be competing against is yourself. This can be comparing how many friends someone has, how well they seem to be doing in college or how their life appears on social media.  

8. Groom yourself 

It is amazing how much of a difference a shower and a bit of makeup can make you feel. It can turn your mood around. Sitting around in your pjs for two days without a wash can make you feel low in yourself.  

9. Dress nicely 

This doesn’t mean you have to wear Chanel. It just means wearing something that is nice looking and presentable. You’ll feel ready to take on the world.  

10. Smile 

It works! A small thing like smiling at someone has a chain reaction. Think about it –  when someone smiles at you, you smile back at them. 

Clara is a final year journalism student in DCU and has a keen interest in lifestyle, beauty and horse racing.
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!