Style

HerCampus DCU’S 2022 Fashion And Beauty Trend Forecast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Ladies and gents, the time has come again for the HerCampus DCU Fashion and Beauty trend forecast! With a little help from a global pandemic, the past two years of fashion have consisted of loungewear sets and neutral staples. In 2022, all of that is about to change!

Fashion

It has been hinted for a while that the low waisted trousers are making a return! For all the millennials, think Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. Gen Z, think of the IAMGIA Halo Pants that Maddy from Euphoria is seen sporting every episode. Although this trend can seem intimidating, there are plenty of ways to style them to suit your comfort level. If you are planning on hitting the club (finally), pair a black, flared pair with a flamboyant coloured crop top. For every day, opt for a pair of low waisted jeans and an oversized jumper on top. 

Varsity jackets have exploded in popularity once again! Coming around every few trend cycles, there has been a new iteration of jackets, with racing being the main theme. They can easily be thrifted to find your favourite colour combo (and random American football team you have probably never heard about!). Perfect as a winter staple or save it for summer to throw over on chilly nights. 

2022 is the Year of the Tiger. Luxury brands such as Gucci and Burberry debuted their Lunar Year collections at Spring/Summer 2022 Fashion Week, only to reveal the iconic orange and black stripes to be the pattern of the season. Every year we see a new animal print come into style. I mean who can forget the cow print trousers of 2020/21? Due to its boldness, tiger print can be tricky to style without looking too tacky. Experiment with having it be the staple piece of your outfit, rather than going for a monochrome look. 

Beauty 

Emerald, sage and lime are all shades of green you are probably familiar with. The colour’s rise has been mostly attributed to fashion brand Bottega Veneta, which has brought it to the forefront of the consumer’s eye. Speaking of eyes, green is replacing the pop of blue in your neutral eyeshadow palette this year! Pop a bit in the inner corner or place it all over the lid as the statement shadow. Beauty is what you make it, so you’re more than welcome to use whatever shade of green you choose.

Clean makeup continues to dominate the For You Page on TikTok in 2022. Along with brands trying to be more sustainable in the packaging they use, cleaner ingredients are now high on the list of priorities as well. At the L’Oreal Transparency Summit, the brand announced that by 2030, 95% of its ingredients will be derived from renewable plant sources and 100% of formulas will be respectful of the aquatic environment. 

Although we must all keep staying safe and wearing our masks, get ready to apply some lip gloss! Brands are making an effort to create transfer-proof formulas as shown by the NYX Shine Loud High Shine Lip Gloss, which went viral online last year. Gone are the days of your hair sticking to your lips while the wind is blowing in your face! Opaque gloss is on the rise and there’s a shade for every skin tone out there. 

May your 2022 be filled with nothing but glitz and glamour. Enjoy the newfound freedoms and don’t forget to express yourself, babe!

HerCampus DCU Co-Chairperson