This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

If you’re looking to spice things up, or even cool things down in the bedroom then you need to know about temperature play.

Temperature play is a sexual play that is usually performed by people who enjoy BDSM. However, it is a great way to experiment with something new.

The main goal of temperature play is to experiment with the elements of heat and cold to heighten your senses. 

The great thing about this is that you can do it solo, with a partner, with toys, or without them. There are endless ways you can experiment with your senses. 

Some ideas to help you start out alone would be to use a heated vibrator or to use the pressure of a warm shower head on your vulva. To play around with the cold sensation you can pop a glass dildo into the fridge before you use it. 

Of course, you can use these toys with your sexual partner too.

Using a warming or cooling lube can be a great way to test temperature play out alone or with a partner – whatever you’re most comfortable doing! Love honey sells a cooling nipple balm, or you can use ice cream or ice on your chest.

If you feel ready to try temperature play with a partner there are so many fun ways you can do so. You can start of small by using a warm or cold towel on you or your partner’s neck. Giving a massage with hot oil or wax from a body-safe candle is another great way to experiment.

Another idea would be to perform oral sex after drinking a glass of cold water or a cup of hot tea. Or, to use an ice cube while performing oral sex.

As you can tell, there are endless ways to experiment with temperature play. These are just a few ideas to help you figure out where you want to start out.

Some Safety Tips

If you are performing temperature play on a partner, make sure to establish a safe word and discuss your limits and boundaries beforehand. Temperature play won’t be for everyone and for some it may actually be a bit more on the uncomfortable side rather than being pleasurable.

Remember, consent is sexy, and consent needs to be consistent. What someone consented to a few minutes ago, can change at any time regardless of your relationship status.

If you decide to use wax for a sensual massage, make sure you are using a body-safe candle. Most of the candles you have in your house or bedroom won’t be safe to use on the skin.

Don’t forget that freeze burn is a thing! Before you put anything heated or chilled near any part of your body make sure you are mindful of the temperature and body location you’re playing with.

Finally, read the ingredients on any new lubes or oils you buy to make sure you or your partner aren’t allergic to them.

The great thing about temperature play is that you don’t need a sexual partner to try it out, you can have just as much fun if not more trying new temperatures when masturbating. 

Temperature play is not for everyone, but it is worth trying if you want to experiment with something new. This can act as your starting guide to heating things up or cooling them down to open up a whole new world in the bedroom.

Journalism student and editor of Her Campus for DCU.