This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Natural curls and waves seem to be the latest hair trends. If the numerous TikTok videos of Dyson Airwrap Tools weren’t an indication, this article is! While tools such as those or our regular curling wands and GHD’s do the job, heated rollers have made an appearance on the scene. What are they? How do they work? And why are they becoming so popular?

What are they?

You might be familiar with your everyday hair rollers. Well, heated rollers look the same as these, but they come in a case where they can be heated up before use. Coming in all different sizes and a range of temperature options, they can create an array of curls just like any other curling tool. They are a quick and efficient way for you to achieve that effortless curl while volumizing your hair also. 

How do they work?

Before use, they need to be heated up. This can depend on the ones you have, but should usually take around 10 minutes. This step is not just for the heated roller queens, but for everyone and anyone who uses heat on their hair; USE HEAT PROTECTANT FIRST! This is the holy grail of hair care and will be a life-saver in the long run. You can also use volumizing mousse here if that is the look you are going for!

You will then need to section your hair so get it ready for rolling! Section the top part of your hair and tie it up, or secure it with a clip so it is out of the way. Then start dividing the lower section into strands of whatever size you want! This will depend on the look you are going for. Once these preparations are complete, you can get the ball rolling! (Pun intended!) 

You can place the roller above or below the hair and wrap it all the way up, securing it with a roller pin. Alternating the placement of the rollers above and below the hair will give you curls in different directions. You can repeat this to the other section of hair. Spray your hair with hairspray and let the rollers cool before taking them out. 

Why are they so popular?

What has brought these hair tools to the foreground of our beauty section this week and why are we hearing more and more about them? 

One reason that could stand to add to or take from this popularity is price. From my extensive research (googling heated hair rollers), they can range from as low as €25 (BaByliss 3663U Curl Pods Hair Heated Rollers) to €152.95 (T3 Volumizing Hot Rollers Luxe). While there are pricey ones out there, you can definitely find more affordable versions and this could definitely appeal to us broke college students!

Convenience. 10 minutes to preheat. Slap a bit of heat protectant on. Roll ‘em up. Hairspray. And use the time they are setting and cooling to do an array of tasks. You can do your make-up for your night out or tidy your room to create the ultimate chill zone for the rest of your pamper night. They might take a bit of getting used to, but I am sure that once you get the hang of them, they are more of a time saver. You can’t get much better than a beauty tool that lets you multitask.

There are always new trends and 2022 is no exception. These effortless, natural, volumized curls and waves are all the rage. Heated rollers seem to be extremely effective in creating these looks, once again when you get the hang of them. You can rest assured that this trend will be back again, rollers were huge in the 1960s and have made a few comebacks since then, so heated rollers may be an investment for now but also future hair trends.

So, heated rollers. They seem to have a lot to offer and are also just a fun new way to get creative with styling hair. If after this you are wondering about investing, have a look at some youtube tutorials and make sure you research what kind is best for your hair! Happy rolling!

English and Religious Education Working part time as a dance teacher Loves anything and everything by F. Scott Fitzgerald