This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

February has arrived. The trial month that was January is over and it’s time for the real deal. It’s also the most popular month for booking summer holidays so there really is no better time to make a fresh start on that long forgotten New Year’s resolution to get fitter.  

The hardest part of this is figuring out how on earth you’re going to do it. Whilst joining a gym is probably the first thing to come to mind, the thought can make people uncomfortable, especially if it’s a completely new venture. However, if you’re ready to lose your gym virginity here are some tips that will lessen the stress. 

Choosing one gym out of the many around can be extremely overwhelming but it’s the most critical decision of all. It’s tempting to google something along the lines of ‘top gyms in Dublin’ and join the first result or automatically join the campus gym. Whilst these are both plausible choices and often work just fine, you need to consider whether they will help you achieve the best results. Think about the steps you will have to take each time you plan on going to the gym. If you live on or near campus, DCU’s gym is a perfect option but if you live two buses away it might be a little harder to motivate yourself on your days off. If you have a hectic weekday schedule, join a gym you’ll be near to on weekends, when you’ll actually have time to go. Also make sure to choose a gym you can continuously afford. A year-long membership at a slightly less facilitated gym is better than a 3 month membership you won’t be able to renew at a state of the art gym. 

Once you have chosen your gym the next step is to actually go. The first time can be daunting, especially when it looks like everyone else is an expert. Most places offer an initial assessment and plan for new members and some even throw in a personal training session. If this is the case, grab it! Don’t worry about making a fool out of yourself in front of the trainer, it’s what they are there for and absolutely no judgement will be passed. It’s a much better option than paying hundreds of euro to sit on a bench because you don’t know how to use any of the equipment. 

Lastly, the well-known tip of joining with a friend is a great one as long as it’s someone of a similar level to you. Your friend that’s been a gym regular for five years might seems like a fantastic mentor but only being able to do five push-ups when she can do an effortless twenty-five may hurt your confidence rather than nurture it.  

If joining a gym doesn’t suit you for any particular reason, don’t give up on fitness altogether. The internet, particularly Pinterest, is full of home workouts so there’s doubt you will find something that feels like it was made for you. 

Photo by Ricardo Estefânio on Unsplash

Journalism student at DCU.