tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

A Guide To All The HomeBirds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Starting college can be an exciting yet scary time for many people. Many questions run through your mind such as, will I make any friends?  Am I good enough? Trust me, we’ve all been there and had our doubts. It just takes a little time and some self-belief.  

So, I’ve put together a few guidelines on how exactly to go about living away from home for the first time. Remember, it’s a big change so make sure to look after yourself both mentally and physically. 

Firstly, I would highly encourage everyone to join clubs and societies. You will meet your family through these and create some of your best college memories. It’s a great way to put yourself out there and meet people who share the same interests as you. Whether picking up on an interest you had from back home or putting yourself out there and trying something new for the first time, just go for it. It’s so important to have an escape away from college work and this is this perfect way. 

Learn to cook. This may seem like a difficult task if you’ve never really dabbled in this field before but trust me it isn’t. Although it may be tempting to order in food every night, it’s probably not the healthiest thing to do. When living away from home its important to start your diet off right with good nutritious foods. As by eating such foods, your body will respond to them, resulting in you having more energy. This way you, your body will now be able to keep up with your busy college lifestyle. Keep it simple and remember to plan out your meals at the beginning of the week. 

Something students may tend to forget or ignore but a necessity to say the least, is budgeting. Nobody wants to find themselves in a situation where they are stuck for money. Come Sunday, sit down and budget how much money you’re going to give yourself for food, travel, leisure etc. Always have money set aside for emergencies as you never know what may happen and will be grateful you did so if the time ever comes to using it. 

Remember to take me time out and look after yourself. Know when to take a break. As exciting as it can be to constantly have something to do, it won’t be long until everything catches up on you. Dedicate an evening out, where you take some time for yourself. Whether it’s to watch your favourite movie, read a book or whatever it is you like to do to relax, just make sure to do it. 

Lastly, if feeling overwhelmed or lonely, talk to someone. There are so many amazing services available on campus such as counselling, the Mental Health society and so on. So, avail of all that is on offer to you.  There is always someone on hand to listen to your worries. Remember you’re never alone. 

You are capable of amazing things ✨