absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Greta Thunberg Receives Criticism for UN Speech

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Greta Thunberg received heavy criticism from celebrities and public figures following her speech at the UN on September 23. 

The 16 year old climate crisis activist spoke at the UN Climate Change Summit and was heavily criticised by several celebrities. 

In her passionate speech she told the international delegates in the audience that she should be in school back home.  

She said, “You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words.” 

However, many were seemingly concerned with her emotional state during the impactful speech as Ryan Tubridy said Thunberg made him “uncomfortable” and added, “her face contorted in pain, agony and anxiety” made him think of his own daughter. 

He also noted she had aspergers and said, “I don’t think she should be put on that stage, it’s not good for her mental health or well-being.” 

Jeremy Clarkson also responded to the speech and told The Sun, “How dare you sail to America on a carbon fibre yacht that you didn’t build which cost £15million, that you didn’t earn, and which has a back-up diesel engine that you didn’t mention.” 

He went further to say, “We gave you mobile phones and laptops and the internet. We created the social media you use every day and we run the banks that pay for it all, so how dare you stand there and lecture us, you spoilt brat.” 

Alongside supposed concern and criticism from celebrities, she also received criticism from world leaders. 

In an energy forum meeting in Moscow, Russian President Vladimir Putin said, “I may disappoint you but I don’t share the common excitement about the speech by Greta Thunberg.”  

Putin added that young people interested in environmental issues should be supported, “but when someone is using children and teenagers in personal interests, it only deserves to be condemned.” 

Donald Trump retweeted a video of Greta’s speech by @Opinion8dKellie where she said, “What an actress! “I should be in school.” She’s getting the best education socialism can steal. I won’t be held hostage by someone who just got a learner’s permit. Sorry kiddo! Tell Al to try again.” 

However, Greta responded to all the negativity in a twitter thread where she said, “being different is not an illness and the current, best available science is not opinions- it’s facts.” 

She said she doesn’t understand why these adults spend time “mocking and threatening” young people and children for stating scientific facts instead of spending their time doing “something good instead” 

“I guess they must simply feel so threatened by us.” 

А в глубине души мы все хотим сожрать богатых.
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.