Getting the chop- can it change your life?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

During secondary school I was tortured daily by the likes of Ariana Grande, with her glorious mane of brunette locks, especially in that iconic “Into You” music video that dazzled millions of teenage boys. My then-boyfriend had the poster pinned up over his bed, a constant reminder of our shared goal, for him to embrace Ariana and for me to be Ariana. But I have naturally limp, ginger hair and Ariana and were and are nothing alike. That’s how it has been for many years. But recently, when I became single, I started looking in the mirror a bit more closely and discovered something extraordinary. I am different! I realized it was time for a change. My little face and head were hiding behind a mass of boring hair that once looked wild and wonderful and now looked sad and heavy. After four stylists refused to cut it, I finally found one who said, “Let’s do this!” And I’m so glad we did.  

You might start standing taller 

Literally. Getting the chop made me realize that I was more than just the sum of my hair. I gained fully a half-inch on my doctor’s scale simply from straightening my posture! I feel sexier. The new ‘do gives me a sassiness—an intangible quality of being happy and alive in my own skin. I have changed my style a bit, wearing more daring outfits and shorter skirts to bring attention to my body. My walk is more confident and my head and neck held a bit higher, which seems to attract attention. I have never been one to get catcalls or a double take out on the street, but this hair seems to be doing the trick. As a young woman, I might have taken offense, but at this stage, bring it on! In bed, I thought my hair was a sexy addition to activities, but it was really just in the way. Now I can spoon without my long hair getting caught in someone’s face. 

You’ll find your inner moxie 

The short cut allows me to show up for the world in my full power and glory. Since the haircut, the power persona in me is taking more control of my life. She’s a blast. She is thrilled with the look and just plain excited to be alive. She comes with me pretty much everywhere I go these days and gives me a big grin when I’m feeling a bit down. Obviously, I am still me—getting up every day, going to college, cooking dinner, being sociable, but I am doing it with a bit more self-acceptance.  

You’ll become a style icon 

Since I got my new ‘do, a few girls—actually practically every girl I know—has commented on how much they love it, and many have revealed that they’re afraid to follow suit. I say live on your own terms! If you’re avoiding chopping your locks because you’re overly concerned about what others will think, let my experience be an inspiration. Just do it! 

You’ll slash your morning routine in half 

With long hair, the washing and drying can be arduous, and I always looked like a wet dish rag leaving the house. Now I just wash and air dry. My hair looks nice and silky, with no frizz or dryness. Better still, it’s dry in 10 minutes! Again, the kind of product you’re using depends on the hair you have. 

“Most of the time with a short cut, a great pomade such as the Wella Sugar Spritz Light texture is great to keep the hair in place while also giving it texture,” 

Thompson says. 

“For volume, you can also use the Tresemmé Thermal Creations Volumizing Mousse to give it a little lift, however, again, because it is short, you don’t need to worry about the weight of your hair pulling it down.” 

You’ll save money on shampoo 

I’m still using the same organic shampoo, but much less of it! Instead of a palm-full, I can use about a cap-full, making the bottle last months longer. But obviously your experience will depend on your hair type. If your hair doesn’t get oily quickly, you can go as long as you need to without washing. However, short hair is so quick to dry that it becomes very easy to wash and style daily. Women with long hair may choose to go a few days between washings because they don’t want the hassle of blow drying and styling their hair, but when your hair is short, all you have to do is get it dry which is super quick, and apply a good style cream or pomade and you’re good to go! 

Photo by Matthew Kane@matthewkan

Eimear is currently a Humanities Student in DCU, studying Music and Irish. You can usually find Eimear either binge-watching Gilmore Girls oe Ru-Pauls Drag Race. And if not..jamming out and fangirling over Musical Theatre. Eimear can be found daily sitting in the SU Offices on St.Patricks Campus or in Java drowning in coffee. Eimear mainly writes in the area of Relationships, Music and being ginger. Happy Reading xo
Journalism student in Dublin City University with a passion for creating, storytelling, styling and presenting.