Fun, Safe Things To Do In Dublin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

As we settle into Level 3 of the government’s Covid-19 restrictions, it can be easy to look at the bolted pub doors and think ‘how am I going to spend my time in Dublin?’. Thankfully, there is a wealth of fun, free, and safe activities to undertake while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Here are some ways you can spend your day, both online and offline while living in Dublin.

Have a meal (outdoors)

Cafés, bars, and restaurants with outdoor dining areas are allowed to open and you can enjoy an alcoholic beverage if you wish; but only if it is accompanied by a meal to the price of €9 or more. While you probably will need to take a jacket or jumper out with you, over 205 establishments across Dublin city and county are open at this time. 

Exercise

We are lucky in Dublin to have some of the most beautiful parks in Ireland right on our doorstep. Getting out of the house for some brisk, brief exercise is so important for your physical and mental wellbeing during this time, so as long as you keep your distance, take advantage of them! If you are pleased, you could even set up a de facto office in your local park to soak up the last of the sun; all you need is your mobile phone!

Go for a swim

If you’re made of tougher stuff, brace yourself with a dip in the Irish sea. Although the temperatures have dropped, there is no better way to blow away the cobwebs than with wild swimming. Take a visit to the Forty Foot in Sandycove, Seapoint, Howth or Dollymount; there are loads of great spots around the coast. 

Take a virtual tour of your favourite museums and galleries

You don’t have to wait weeks to visit the National Gallery or the IMMA; now you can take a stroll around Dublin’s beautiful galleries from the comfort of your own home! The Dublin City Culture Company has comprised a wealth of resources for you to experience including virtual talks and performances, events and tours of many museums and galleries. You can find their website here.

Watch a movie

If you wish to stay indoors for the next three weeks, check out some classic Dublin movies to keep the nation’s capital close to your heart at this time. The Commitments, The Van, The Snapper, My Left Foot and Once are all available to watch on YouTube, so you can sit back and let Dublin come to you! 

It may seem impossible to go out and have some fun while we’re stuck in the pandemic. However, there is a range of activities you can do with friends or a partner to break up your week and welcome some joy and fun to such uncertain times.

Economics Politics and Law student in DCU. Lover of creamy pints and wishful thinking :)
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!