This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Frozen 2 may be a film intended for younger audiences. It may be, but just because it’s an animated movie we have all come to expect something for everyone from Disney films. 

This movie is, of course, the sequel to the incredibly successful first Frozen film. The sequel makes many nods to different elements of the first film – with one scene even going as far as to have Olaf re-enact the entirety of the first installment. 

But what really makes this film so entertaining for adults, and what seems to not cause a good deal of confusion in the children watching, is the intense emotional themes of the film. 

The film’s main themes focus on transformation, rebirth, growth, the whole lot. When one or two of the main characters seems dead (something which Disney could never be cruel enough to let anyone believe anymore, so you are always aware they will probably come back), there is an extremely complex grieving song. 

This song is so deep in pain, and gives a message which seems to say “no matter how awful and in pain I am in my heart, I have to keep moving forward or else I won’t know what to do”. This is something that surely children cannot comprehend – however with adults it hits a surefire nerve and if you’re not bucketing tears you are at the very least holding them back. 

There are of course some of the expected innuendos, such as with Anna and Kristoff’s more intense and loving relationship (you can even look forward to seeing some casual smooches, a rarity for the dramatic Disney movie world!). However, these are a simple break from the rollercoaster of relationship dynamics faced among the characters. 

Anna and Elsa have now rekindled the relationship that was shown as lacking and cold (no pun intended) in the original film, and a determined Anna is, of course, feisty as ever in her unfaltering devotion to her sister whom she refuses to lose again in any capacity. We see Elsa struggle with the partnership, unable to relate to her sister and finding it so difficult to express how she feels. 

Watching Elsa fight against the constant watchful eye of Anna, and seeing the intricacies of the kind of “if you love something set it free” mentality of it, is something children may not yet have experienced. 

There have been comments made on some parts of the film that remain unelaborated, such as the future of Arendelle, and also on Kristoff’s lack of screen time or growth as a character. However overall this film continues to receive positive reviews for its beautiful imagery, animation, soundtrack, and general enjoyment. Many are appreciative of its realisation that just because it’s a Disney film doesn’t mean it’s for kids, and this alone is a reason to go see it as soon as you can. 

Just a 21 year old journalism student that is passionate about a hell of a lot of things
?A Wellness Gumdrop? Helping students BREAK bad habits, SMASH goals and live their BEST LIVES through all things health, manifestation and storytelling? ?CC/Editor in Chief at Dublin City University ?Spreading those goody good vibes with you DCU Global Business Student '20 aziamto.com ig: @azia_mery linkedin.com/in/azia