Food That Make Switching to a Plant-Based Diet Easier!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

A plant-based diet doesn’t have to mean that you are a vegetarian or vegan or never eat meat at all it can simply mean that you are choosing to eat more foods from plant-based sources such as vegetables, nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes and beans. 

According to everydayhealth.com, there are many benefits to be gained by choosing a plant-based diet.

These Health benefits include lowering your blood pressure which can reduce the risk of health issues such as heart disease, stroke, and type two diabetes.

Michael Clancy who has recently changed to a plant-based diet said, “I genuinely feel like I have a lot more energy since I made the switch to a plant-based diet.

“I think even just having to think more about what meals I am going to eat during the day has made me make healthier choices.”  

By cutting back on meat products you are reducing the amount of saturated fat in your diet. 

A study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association found that eating a plant-based diet can reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease by 16%.

When asked would he recommend a plant-based diet Clancy said, “I would definitely recommend this diet there are just so many health benefits to eating less meat.”

A plant-based diet can easily be incorporated into your everyday life as these kinds of foods are widely available and easy to prepare.

Here are six top tips to help you go plant-based

Fruits and veggies in every meal

Experts recommend filling half of your plate with vegetables at lunch and dinner. 

Prioritise good fats 

Foods like avocados, nut butters and seeds all contain good fats and can increase the flavour of the meals you eat throughout the day.

Build meals around beans and whole grains

Before heading to the supermarket, it is important to think about what foods you want to include in your meals this week. Make a list that prioritises the main plant-based components of your dish.

Good old-fashioned oatmeal

Whole grains are a great food to start off the day with. For an easy breakfast, oatmeal is always a quick and easy choice. Baked oats can give a cake-like texture to a healthy breakfast and there are thousands of variations of this recipe online so you can shake up the flavours in your breakfast day to day.

Think green

It’s always good to include different kinds of greens in a plant-based diet for variety. Try greens such as spinach or kale. These are best cooked by steaming, grilling, braising, or stir frying to keep as much flavour as possible in your dish.

Satisfy that sweet tooth with fruit

A great way to increase your intake of fruit is to have a piece for dessert. Changing our mindset surrounding fruit and seeing it as a dessert can improve the quality of your diet and will satisfy your sweet cravings.

You should consciously try to change the way you see meat as a part of your meal. Plant-based doesn’t have to mean cutting meat out altogether, instead try having less meat on your plate as a side.

Interested in travel and health.
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!