Wellness > Health

Fitness Influencers and their Aesthetic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Fitness influencers have taken over Instagram recently. While it is amazing to see so many people getting into fitness, there is also pressure on those who work out to look a certain way. The body type associated with fitness influencers is usually a big bum, a small waist, and abs as hard as rock for women, and big muscular shoulders, strong legs and abs for men. With a lot of dedication, this body type is achievable, but it also puts pressure on those consuming these images to look the same way. In order to achieve the typical fitness look, you have to track your calories, train specific muscles multiple times a week and eat the right food. For a lot of people, the gym isn’t just about aesthetic, but for their mental health and general physical wellbeing. The image associated with the gym can put off people who don’t fit the stereotypical gym look. It may make it more difficult for them to start in the first place. Gym intimidation is very real and effects many people.

Health is about so much more than aesthetic. People with a high BMI like rugby players can be extremely fit but will show as obese on the BMI scale. In the same way, people with a low BMI may look healthy but they may not be getting the right nutrition. Depending on your body shape you may never achieve the look that some influencers have. Working out should be enjoyable, and without judgement or pressure. You should never feel intimidated or ashamed to go to the gym. No matter what you look like, going to the gym should be a positive thing for everyone and should never be stigmatised.

Companies like Gymshark who sell gym clothes and sponsor athletes ensure to include different body types on their platform. From bodybuilders and powerlifters to those who prefer strength and conditioning training, all types of training and bodies are praised. Fitness influencer GraceFitUK ensures to be entirely transparent with her audience. In an Instagram Q&A she was asked how she stayed slim on holidays and she admitted that she had put on some weight, but would rather enjoy her holiday and gain a little weight than constantly worry about her appearance. This type of honesty and transparency should be the norm as it reassures followers that they don’t have to adhere to a strict diet and exercise regime all the time, they should enjoy their lives, too. If working out is a chore rather than something enjoyable, it might be wise to take a look at the reasons behind why you exercise and maybe try to change your view of exercise to a more positive one. Rather than looking at it as a way to lose weight, look at it as a way to get stronger. Start lifting weights for the benefit of your mind and body. It is proven that weightlifting improves sleep and can boost serotonin levels, helping with mental health as well.

Just a vegan who loves to write about food, travel and all that good stuff!