Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Expressing Self-Love Through the Act of Masturbation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Let’s talk about masturbation! OH NO. The cringe. Nope, it’s not at all cringy. Masturbation is not something to shy away from or be embarrassed about. We need to start embracing it and loving ourselves a little. 

Masturbation is a safe, fun, and an experiment in itself to enjoy. It’s time to find our pleasures and what turns us on. Not only that, but it makes us feel good. Do not be ashamed to experiment a little. It is okay to enjoy a little bit of sexual pleasure now and again, not only does it feel good it makes us feel a little bit of self-love as well. 

“Knocking one out” has so many benefits to your physical, mental, and sexual health that there is no reason not to sneak in a little bit of self-pleasure every day or so. Below I’m going to talk about some of the benefits of masturbation and learning how to get to know your body a little better.

Masturbating is a form of self-care, sexual self-care that is, but self-care nonetheless. More and more women are talking about masturbation online and it’s not as much of a taboo topic as it used to be. Masturbating has so many mental and physical health benefits that are being talked about a lot more often thanks to celebrities and influencers being a lot more open about it online.

Touching yourself can reduce stress, give you a better night’s sleep, and the most obvious one release any built-up sexual tension. Crazy right? The big O can reduce stress and give you a better night’s sleep! 

According to Marie Clare,“When you reach climax, your body really does release chemicals that encourage mental wellbeing, something we need more than ever right now.” 

These chemicals released when you climax can also allow your body to relax and therefore improve sleep quality and reduce stress. Do you feel a sense of relief when you finish? It’s almost like your soul leaves your body for a quick second and when you come back down, so to speak, you just feel relieved and satisfied. At night this sense of relief can send you right off to sleep as your body is so relaxed.

Of course, the obvious, climaxing relieves all sexual tension as well. It’s natural to feel sexual tension from time to time and when you don’t have a partner to help in that department there’s nothing wrong with helping yourself out to relieve that sexual tension. We are creatures of reproduction, after all, feeling aroused and wanting to release the sexual tension is normal.

There are so many ways to go about pleasuring yourself. There’s vaginal, clitoral, anal, combination, just explore ladies! Find what makes you feel good because that’s what it is all about. You need to love yourself, explore yourself, and make yourself feel good. Experiment with toys, it may sound daunting but trust me you won’t regret it. Being able to experiment with your vagina and find what is best for you is what it’s all about. 

You can try the combo method with either your hand or with toys. When stimulating your vagina and clitoris at the same time, especially when hitting the G spot will leave you with an explosive orgasm and best believe all that stress of assignments and college work will be a distant memory.

Don’t be afraid to experiment. If you’re new to self-pleasure, don’t be afraid, there is no right or wrong way to masturbate. Just do what feels right for you and take the time to explore and discover and love your body. 

At the end of the day, do what makes YOU feel good and enjoy every minute of it!