Exercises for Abs of Steel 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Regardless of the time of year, everyone is always craving the sculpted torso of a fitness model or bodybuilder. Wherever you are in your fitness journey right now here are 6 exercises to bring you that little bit closer to your six-pack goals. 

Hanging Leg Raises 

Using a wide grip hang from a chin up bar with your arms fully extended. The legs should be straight down with the pelvis rolled slightly backwards. 

Exhale as you raise your legs until they make a 90-degree angle with the torso.  

Hold the contraction for 2-3 seconds and go back slowly to the starting position as you breathe in. 

Preform10-15 reps for 2-3 sets. 

Decline Crunches 

Secure your legs at the end of the decline bench and lie down with your hands crossed in front of your chest. 

Push your lower back into the bench as you contract your abdominals and exhale too slowly to lift your shoulders about four inches off the bench. 

Hold the contraction for 2-3 seconds, then inhale as you slowly come down to the starting position. 

Preform15-25 reps for 2-3 sets.  

Leg Raises 

Lie with your back flat on the floor with your legs fully extended and place your hands under your glutes with your palms down.  

Keeping your legs straight, exhale and raise them until they make a 90-degree angle with the floor. 

Hold this for 2-3 seconds and as you inhale, slowly lower your legs back down to the starting position. 

Preform15-20 reps for 2-3 sets 

Bicycle Crunch 

Lie face-up with your knees bent 90 degrees so that your lower legs are parallel to the floor. 

Placing your fingers on the sides of your forehead, lift your shoulders off the floor and twist your upper body to the right as you pull your right knee in until it touches your left elbow. Simultaneously straight your left leg.  

Return to the starting position and repeat to the right. 

Preform for 30 seconds for 5-6 sets 

Plank 

Get into a push up position on the floor and bend your elbows 90°resting your weight on your forearms. Your elbows should be directly beneath your shoulders, your abs should be engaged, and your body should form a straight line from your head to your feet.  

Hold the position for as long as you can start at 30 seconds and working your way up in 10 second jumps each consecutive day. 

V-Ups 

Lie on your back with your arms extended above your head and keep your legs straight hovering about 1 inch off the floor. 

Keeping your legs straight lift them off the floor and at the same time squeeze your abdominals to raise your upper body from the floor reaching for your toes with your hands. At the top of the movement all your weight should be resting on your hips and glutes. 

Then slowly lower yourself back down to the starting position to finish the first repetition. 

Repeat 15-20 times for 2-3 sets. 

Photo by Christopher Campbell on Unsplash

Journalism Student, Dublin City University. 
Journalism student in Dublin City University with a passion for creating, storytelling, styling and presenting.