Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

Everything You Need to Know About Yeast Infections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Yeast infections are fungal infections that can cause some awful irritation, itchiness, and discharge. Vaginal yeast infections affect up to 3 out of 4 women at some point throughout their lives, with many women experiencing at least two episodes, according to the Mayo Clinic. 

Though not considered to be a sexually transmitted infection, risks of getting a vaginal yeast infection increase at the time of first regular sexual activity, and according to The Mayo Clinic, there is some evidence that infections may be linked to oral-genital sex. Medications can be used to treat Vaginal Yeast Infections, but if it’s a common occurrence for you to get them (four or more in a year) you may need a longer course of treatment – that of course would be something your doctor would see if it would be best for you.

With Vaginal Yeast Infections, here are the symptoms to look out for according to The Mayo Clinic (which can range from mild to moderate):

• Itching and irritation of the vagina and vulva
  • A burning sensation, particularly while urinating or during sex.
  • Redness and swelling of the vulva
  • Vaginal pain
  • Vaginal rash
  • Thick white odour-free discharge which has the consistency of cottage cheese (sorry!)
  • Watery vaginal discharge 

If you have strong symptoms, or if you have had four or more yeast infections in the past year, you may have a complicated yeast infection, which is more common if you have uncontrolled diabetes or if you are pregnant.

Make sure you see a doctor if:

• This is the first time you’re having yeast infection symptoms
  • You’re not sure if you have had a yeast infection
  • Your symptoms are not relieved with the use of over-the-counter medication

Yeast infections are caused by the fungus candida albicans – your vagina naturally contains a balanced mix of yeast (including candida) and bacteria – some bacteria act to prevent an overgrowth of yeast. Of course, this balance can be disrupted by an overgrowth of candida or penetration of the fungus deeper into the vagina can cause the symptoms of a yeast infection, according to The Mayo Clinic. An overgrowth of yeast can be caused by antibiotic use, pregnancy, uncontrolled diabetes, an impaired immune system, and taking hormone therapies or contraceptives that increase Oestrogen levels.

You may be at a higher risk of developing a yeast infection because of:

• Antibiotic use: Broad Spectrum antibiotics kill a range of bacteria in your vagina including healthy bacteria which can lead to an overgrowth of yeast.
  • Increased Oestrogen Levels: Yeast infections are more common in women with higher levels of oestrogen. You can have a higher level of oestrogen if you are pregnant, on high dose oestrogen birth control or oestrogen hormone therapy.
  • Uncontrolled Diabetes: Women with badly controlled blood sugar are at a higher risk of yeast infections than women with well-controlled blood sugar.
  • Impaired Immune System: women with lowered immunity are more at risk of getting a yeast infection.

There are certain things you can do to reduce your risk of developing a vaginal yeast infection, such as:

• Wearing underwear with a cotton crotch lining, that are not too tight.
  • Avoid tight fitting clothing around that area
  • DO NOT DOUCHE
  • Avoid scented hygiene products (see article here)
  • Avoid very hot baths and hot tubs
  • Change out of wet clothes asap, don’t stay in wet clothes for long periods of time.

As always besties, I’m not a doctor so I would encourage you to go and see your doctor if you think you may have a vaginal yeast infection or if you think it could be an ongoing issue. Despite that, I hope you’ve learned something from this article – yeast infections affect so many of us, yet we never speak about them – let’s change that.

My name is Emma, and I'm originally from the north west of Ireland! I'm a journalism student in DCU, and have loved reading and writing ever since I was young. I'm a big lover of music, and also do some modelling work on the side!