This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

First aid is one of the most useful skills for anyone to have. Unfortunately, not enough people know what to do in a situation where someone’s life might be hanging in the balance. 

Two vital skills are CPR and the recovery position.  

1. The recovery position 

When approaching an unconscious person who appears to need your help, you have to ensure that the scene is safe for you to help. Remember to check for any fire, wire, gas or glass that may make the area unsafe for you. If you suspect that the person isn’t breathing, you should tell a bystander to find a defibrillator and to call 999. 

If when you approach the unconscious person and notice that they are breathing you should put them into the recovery position. The recovery position prevents the patient from choking on their tongue or their own vomit. If the person is lying on their back you should make lots of noise, tap the ground beside their head and try and get their attention. They might be just asleep!  

If this isn’t the case, it’s time to put them into the recovery position. To do this you would place the victim’s leg furthest from you on top of the one closest to you in a bent position. Next, take their arm furthest from you and place it across their chest. You should then pull the unconscious person towards you, using their arm and leg as a place to hold.  

Once the person is lying on their side you should tuck their hand under their head. Use their leg as a prop to keep them in this position. The recovery position will ensure that the victim will not choke on their vomit. You should make sure they maintain this position until they regain consciousness or the emergency services arrives. 

Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyxDxveX7Mk 

2. CPR 

In a life and death situation it’s paramount that bystanders know how to administer CPR in order to give the victim the best chance of survival before the emergency services arrive. CPR ensures that oxygenated blood continues to flow to the patient’s heart and brain. 

Firstly, you want to ensure that you are kneeling beside the patient. When doing CPR you must ensure that your hands are in the correct position. You should place the heel of your hand below the sternum of the patient. It is vital that you keep your elbows locked and straightened.  

While still in a kneeling position you can begin compressions on the patient’s chest. You should carry out 30 compressions before administering two breaths. It is up to the person administering CPR to decide if they are comfortable or not administering breath, if not you should continue with the chest compressions.  

After administering breath or after 30 compressions you need to check the victim and see if there is any sign of life. You should check by placing your ear over the victim’s mouth and looking down at the chest. If you feel their breath on your ear or see their chest rise, the victim’s heart is beating by itself and you do not need to continue with CPR. If this is not the case, you should continue and restart compressions until emergency services arrive or you get a defibrillator. 

Check out this video to make sure you know what to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vXPo7lNYzk 

A burrito is a delicious food item that breaks down all social barriers and leads to temporary spiritual enlightenment - Lisi Harrison.
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.