Denim Jacket Detail
Denim Jacket Detail
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Style

Decluttering Your Wardrobe in Time for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It may seem strange to be discussing a re-vamp of your wardrobe while we are in the midst of storm season.  

But starting to think about what clothes you want to be wearing when the nights get shorter and the ice creams start to become a part of your daily diet may not be the worst way to spend a rainy weekend.  

Firstly, you should establish what exactly you want to wear in the summer months, it’s important that your own style shines through as opposed to a carbon copy of someone else’s.  

There is a plethora of inspiration on Instagram and Pinterest and sometimes they even list where the clothes are from.  

Perhaps pick a celebrity who has a style like yours or one you would love to emulate and see if you can recreate their pieces with cheaper items.  

Tip number two is to have quite a detached attitude to your current wardrobe as it can be very difficult to throw out things especially when they have sentimental value. 

The sooner you start on this little project the more choice you will have with what type of things you want to buy and it also gives you plenty of time to save up, maybe buying one small purchase every few weeks.  

Lastly, you should decide on one day to get the black bags out and go through it from start to finish. Maybe a weekend day would suit but it can be anytime once you can spare a few hours to the task.  

Don’t just throw out all your old clothes, donate them to a charity shop. There’s hidden gems in your local charity shop and you are also helping the environment in this endeavour.  

Often when you start decluttering it can be difficult to stop, it becomes a bit addictive and before you know it the following week after you have said goodbye to your pieces you suddenly remember you really liked a specific top that you threw out.  

To prevent this, try and get a second opinion before you commit to throwing it all out. Gather the clothes you wish to part with and ask a friend or family member to have a look through them. 

Good Housekeeping gives a really good nugget of advice when you are putting all your decluttered pieces back into your wardrobe. They state that you should try and make your clothes as “visible” as possible. You will find items in your decluttering that you forgot you even had or often wondered where they had gotten to! 

Sometimes when people have a lot to do, they forget about getting a few bits for warmer weather, buying these things in bulk and at the last minute only causes stress to you and your bank balance.  Starting early and deciding what you want in advance is a great way to have everything ready in time whilst also putting yourself in the summer mood.  

Hi my name is Naoise Darby! I am a final year journalism student at DCU and I love writing about films, acting, music and social issues.
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.