Ways To Love Your Vagina
Ways To Love Your Vagina
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Debunking Some of the Most Common Sexual Health Myths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Since our teenage years, we have been exposed to many myths and misconceptions regarding sexual health. Misconceptions around sexual health are very common in our world today and we are often guilty of taking hearsay as fact. Here are 5 of the most common sexual health myths debunked: 

You can’t catch an STI by having oral sex.

It is a common misconception that you can only catch STIs from intercourse. However, you are just as likely to catch a range of STIs from giving or receiving oral sex. The most common STIs that can be transferred by oral sex are genital herpes, gonorrhoea, and syphilis. The less common STIs that can be transferred through oral sex are Hepatitis B and HPV, according to the HSE. 

You can’t get pregnant during your period. 

Although the probability of you getting pregnant while on your period is low, there is still a chance. Sperm can survive in a female’s body for up to five days after sexual intercourse. Women with shorter menstrual cycles are more likely to get pregnant from having sex during their periods. This is because ovulation happens in the middle of the time between each period. This is usually about 14 days before your period begins, according to Planned Parenthood. 

Only gay men can get HIV.

It has been a common misconception for many years that HIV is only prevalent within the gay male demographic worldwide. This is not true. Women can also be susceptible to HIV through unprotected sex with a male who has HIV or through sharing injection drug equipment with a person who has HIV. According to HIV Ireland, there was 523 HIV diagnoses nationally in 2018, 79% were male and 21% were female. 

You will always have symptoms if you have an STI. 

Symptoms vary between the different types of STIs. It is very common for many STIs to have no physical symptoms at all. For example, 7 out of 10 women infected with chlamydia will have no symptoms, according to sexualwellbeing.ie. That is why it is important to keep on top of your sexual health by having an STI test annually. It is most important to get regular STI tests if you have a new sexual partner, you or your sexual partner have had unprotected sex with other people, if your sexual partner has symptoms or if you plan to get pregnant and you may have been at risk of infection, according to the HSE. 

The morning after pill is just for the morning after

Due to the nature of its name, many people believe that you can only take the morning after pill the morning following unprotected sex. Although the morning after pill is most effective to reduce the risk of pregnancy when taken within 24 hours after sex, you can take it up to 72 hours after. If taken within 24 hours it is 95% effective, within 48 hours it is 85% effective and within 72 hours it is only 58% effective. 

Along with the five common sexual health myths listed above, there are many more like them that float among us. If you have any sexual health questions, there are many great websites that will help you find the facts. These include; hse.ie, sexualwellbeing.ie, plannedparenthood.org, nhs.uk. Establishing what is fact and fiction regarding sexual health is the key to knowledge for a healthy life.

DCU journalism student Email: kathleen.keane9@mail.dcu.ie