This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Practised in China as an important part of Chinese Medicine for over 5000 years, cupping massage therapy is a form of alternative medicine where special cups are used to create suction on the skin. 

Although there is no scientific proof that cupping works, many athletes/celebrities swear by it. Singer Jessie J revealed on her Instagram earlier this year that she uses cupping treatment to help with her anxiety.  

She shared pictures of her back covered in red circular marks whilst praising her therapist Vicky Vlachonis. She wrote, ”I wouldn’t be the person I am without your help with my anxiety.” 

What is Cupping?  

Cupping is often used to soften tight muscles, ease pain, bring hydration and blood flow to the tissues of the body, for relaxation and well-being and also as an alternative to a deep tissue massage, according to MHT Ireland. 

This is all achieved through creating suction. There are two main types of cupping treatment, dry and wet. 

In dry cupping, the therapist puts a flammable substance such as alcohol, herbs or paper in a cup and sets in on fire. As the fire goes out, the cup is placed upside down on the patient’s skin. As the air in the cup cools, it creates a vacuum which causes the skin to rise and redden as the blood vessels expand. Generally, the cup is left in place for 5-20 minutes depending on the condition being treated, according to The Bodywise Clinic in Dublin. 

Wet cupping (also called Hijama), follows the same process, leaving the cups in place for less than 3 minutes. Once the cup is removed the therapist uses a scalpel to make small cuts on the skin. They then do a second suction to draw out small quantities of blood. 

This process has been thought to remove harmful substances from the body, but again that’s not scientifically proven. 

Should you try cupping? 

As cupping therapy leaves temporary bruises and marks on the skin, therapists recommend avoiding treatment up to two weeks before special occasions. 

At the moment the information surrounding cupping isn’t proven but there are many people who stand by the treatment. If traditional therapies have failed, it may not be a bad idea to try cupping. 

If you’re looking to try cupping, many clinics offer the treatment. The Bodywise clinic in Dublin offers sessions ranging from 45 minutes to 90 minutes costing between €59 and €95. 

DCU Journalism student?????♓️
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.