Wellness > Health

COVID-19 Undermines Progress Made in Stamping Out HIV Stigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

HIV/AIDS was arguably one of the world’s most widely discussed- and even more widely misunderstood- viral illnesses until the emergence of COVID-19. An estimated 37 million people live with the condition globally as of late 2020, although treatment options have greatly improved for patients in recent decades. 

Those living with the disease often must still contend with fierce stigma surrounding the virus’ transmission, particularly in countries with little regard for minority rights. In several states, the outbreak of the pandemic has helped  justify new discriminatory measures that hinder the daily lives of those living with HIV, including disrupting people’s access to medication. 

A report issued by the International AIDS Society (IAS) states that although the unique nature of the pandemic has enabled more innovative ways of delivering HIV treatment due to restrictions, it has also simultaneously exacerbated difficulties facing marginalised groups during the health crisis. 

Winnie Byanyima, executive director of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) has spoken out against the misuse of emergency COVID powers to deliberately target and humiliate those living with HIV.  

“Checks and balances that are the cornerstone of the rule of law must be exercised in order to prevent misuse of such powers. If not, we may see a reversal of much of the progress made in human rights, the right to health and the AIDS response,” she says in a 2020 press statement. 

A police raid of an LGBTQ+ youth shelter in Kambala, Uganda early last year, a country which classifies both male and female homosexual activity as illegal, led to 23 young people being arrested. The arrests were made on the grounds that their residence in the youth shelter violated emergency COVID-19 laws on social gatherings, despite the fact that there was no limit placed on the amount of people who could reside within one home. 

Legal groups believe that the arrests are indicative of blatant homophobia held by the local community. Two individuals arrested were undergoing HIV treatment at the time of their arrest. Police also confiscated HIV medication, self- testing kits and contraception that was found in the hostel. 

The two people living with HIV among those arrested were released earlier than their counterparts on medical grounds, but they had no access to medication while being kept in prison. 

The use of the pandemic as a thinly veiled excuse to target marginalised communities is jarring not only for those who have HIV, but also is detrimental to the work of advocacy groups such as UNAIDS to facilitate change. 

The IAS recommends that individual countries make decisions on their COVID-19 response based on valid scientific evidence, not baseless and harmful stereotypes, to avoid incidents like the above from gaining traction.

Journalism Student at DCU. Contributor at Her Campus and The College View. Email: roisin.butler9@mail.dcu.ie