This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Most people find moving to college difficult each year. Regardless of if you’re moving out for the first time, or if you’re a returning student. Packing your life into boxes and moving it to a different county is never easy! What always helps me to ease the transition back to college from home is decorating my college room and making it as nice as possible to be in. This year, I put a lot of effort into making my room as cosy as possible and got a lot of tips and tricks from watching American dorm tours. Here are my top tips to turn your home away from home into your sanctuary! 

• Soft furnishings. 

Things like cushions and blankets are what will give your room the comfort factor. I recommend buying soft blankets that are bigger than the actual size of your bed. Penney’s are the best place to go for things like this, and it’s the most affordable place! They also stock blankets and cushions in every colour imaginable. Extra blankets are also essential because, let’s face it, there’s a good chance your accommodation will be freezing at some point. Picking up a hot water bottle while you’re in Penney’s buying a king-sized neon pink blanket is also a great idea! 

• Rugs. 

This year I invested in two small white faux fur rugs for my room, and they’ve made all the difference. They take the bare, student look away from the room and make it feel far warmer. The ground in my bedroom is wooden and the faux fur does an amazing job of adding texture. Choosing white also brightened up my room. You can find affordable rugs in places like Argos and Guineys in almost any colour you could want! 

• Tapestries. 

Tapestries are an absolute essential for me. They are perfect for adding colour to your room and breaking up the bare walls. (Before buying, make sure your accommodation allows you to stick things to the wall!) Adding soft fabric to the walls also warms up your room. Amazon has any amount of tapestries available in price ranges to suit any budget. 

• Pictures. 

The best thing you can do to make your room as homely as possible is to bring pictures of family and friends with you. Get some frames in ikea or the pound shop and print some of your favourite pictures off. This will remind you of home, and it’s always nice to have comforting reminders of the people you love and happy times when you’re feeling lonely! 

• The small touches. 

In bedrooms, it’s the fine details that make all the difference. Things that will add to the final touches of your room are small things like decorations and lights. Battery-operated fairy lights are the holy grail of college bedrooms! They make all the difference in creating a cosy and relaxing atmosphere. Candles are also great at adding to the cosy feel of your room. TK Maxx have the best selection of candles imaginable, just make sure they’re allowed in your accommodation and be careful not to leave them unattended when lighting! Purchasing some prints and posters can also add a much homier feel to your room and make it somewhere you actually want to spend time. 

Image by annfarnsworth.com

DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.