This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It is officially that time of year! We can now look forward to opening gifts, watching classic movies and spending time with friends and family. This year, with restrictions eased, we can show off our festive makeup looks. Whether it’s dinner and drinks or hitting the club, we have chosen two of our favourite looks that will make you feel like a star!   

Bold Red Lipstick 

First, prime the skin with the Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow primer. Follow with the No7 Lift & Luminate foundation. To cover any blemishes, and to brighten under the eyes, use the Maybelline Fit Me concealer. In order to make red lipstick more wearable, apply a blush that matches the undertones of the skin. The Charlotte Tilbury Cheek To Chic blusher is available in a range of shades to fit most skin tones. Add a few drops of the Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Light Wand in the shade Spotlight to highlight the cheekbones. Powder areas of the skin are prone to oiliness with the Laura Mercier Loose Powder.  

Brush through the eyebrows with the Benefit Gimme Brow gel. Curl the eyelashes and apply the Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara. False lashes such as the Ardell Demi Wispies can elevate the look but are completely optional.  

Now for the lips! When using a dark colour such as red it is important to line the lips in order to avoid the colour running. Lining lips can also make them appear fuller and plumper. Most brands sell a lip liner to match all their lipstick shades. Some of the bestselling red lipsticks include Mac Ruby Woo, Charlotte Tilbury So Red, Yves Saint Laurent Rouge In Danger and Maybelline Pleasure Me Red. 

Classic Smokey Eye 

Start with The Ordinary High Spreadability Fluid Primer and follow with the Rimmel Match Perfection foundation. Use the Nars Radiant Creamy concealer under the eyes and to cover imperfections. Blend the Charlotte Tilbury Contour Wand onto the hollows of the cheeks, the bridge of the nose and the jawline. Next, apply the Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Light Wand in the shade Pinkgasm to the cheeks. Powder the nose, chin and forehead with the Maybelline Fit Me powder.   

Fill sparse areas of the eyebrows with the NYX brow pencil and brush through to blend. For an easy smokey eye, apply the Maybelline Tattoo Eyeshadow in the shade Risk Maker, keeping the pigment close to the lash line. Blend this out with a fluffy eyeshadow brush. Apply some shadow to the outer lower lash line and blend to create a smokey effect. Next, put the MAC Dazzleshadow Liquid in the shade Stars In My Eyes on the centre of the eyelid for a pop of sparkle. Draw the NYX  Epic Wear Liner along your waterline. Curl your lashes, apply the Benefit Bad Gal Bang Mascara and the SOSU Gigi False Lashes.   

Pair this look with a nude lip for the perfect combo. Some of the most popular nude lipsticks include MAC Velvet Teddy, Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick 40, Yves Saint Laurent Melon D’or and L’Oréal Ultra Matte No Doubts. Adding a clear gloss such as the Rimmel Crystal Clear lip gloss can add a polished feel to your look. 

This time of year can be very chaotic and stressful, especially at the moment with everybody adjusting to socialising again. Putting a little extra effort into our appearance with these looks can make us feel better and even more festive. All of the products mentioned can be swapped out for whatever you have at home, they are simply recommendations or maybe new ideas for your Christmas list!  

- Chairperson of Her Campus DCU 23/24 - Editor in Chief & Campus Correspondent 22/23