This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

The next instalment of the DCU chair ladies features, Amy Russell, a 21 year old currently in her third year of studying Psychology.  

Amy is chairperson of HeadstARTS (who won DCU’s best new society 17/18). The society holds drama, dancing and art classes every week for people with individual disabilities.  

She loves acting and dancing…and Netflix and is a HUGE fan of the Beatles! Amy hopes to do something to do with child psychology after college. 

•  What made you initially join the society you are now running?  

“The reason I joined HeadstARTS was because in first year psychology you’re required to do volunteering. I heard about headstARTS and I was like “Well, I like dancing and drama so I may as well choose this!”. From the minute I stepped foot into the class I fell in love. In love with the people, with the feeling of achievement and the happiness it brought to me and the others there. I was hooked! I was so nervous when I started as I had never worked with anyone with disabilities but I figured it out pretty quickly. Ever since that day in first year I’ve looked forward to HeadstARTS every week and never thought I’d be lucky enough to be the chairperson of this incredible society!” 

• Name three people who inspire you daily  

“Both my parents inspire me immensely. Their work ethic and dedication to what they do has instilled in me to put my mind to what I want and work at it until I get there. Seeing how smart they are and how smart they are has always inspired me to reach for the stars. I know I’ve been asked for three people who inspire me but honestly, all our members at HeadstARTS inspire me every day. No matter what is going on in their lives, they are amazingly positive through it all. They bring smiles to the faces of every-one around them and no matter how down I feel before the class, I leave every week with a beaming smile. Their positivity is infectious.” 

• What are the rays of sunshine and the clouds of rain aspects of chairing a society? 

“Although HeadstARTS is an amazing society, it can be tough to manage. There’s pressure to make sure all of our members are safe and happy during the classes and that we have enough volunteers to facilitate that. Luckily, I have an amazing committee around me and we all play our parts so that the classes run as smoothly as possible. A society like HeadstARTS brings a lot of rays of sunshines! The smiles on our members faces make the hard work worth it all. Knowing that I was in charge of making these smiles happen is my proudest achievement as a chair.” 

• What are your college staples to get you through the college day?  

“FOOD. Couldn’t get through the day without food at every available opportunity. Also, my diary. Would be lost without it!” 

• Your favourite college memory?  

“Laughing. I can’t even give a specific memory but my favourite thing about college is laughing with my friends. Although college is full of stress, I don’t think I’ve ever gone a day in college without a big belly laugh. Shout-out to the girls for being hilarious and keeping me smiling through the work!” 

• For people who are somewhat shy at the prospect of joining a society, what advice would you give to them?  

“Try it once! I was petrified walking in to HeadstARTS the first time but there is always a friendly face around who’ll put you at ease. You just need the courage to walk through the door and the people in there will keep you going from there.” 

• Would you consider yourself a GirlBoss? And with that, what defines a GirlBoss, in your opinion? 

“Hmm.. I don’t know if I consider myself a GirlBoss. I think I have aspects but others need work! In my opinion, a GirlBoss is confident and independent. They’re who they want to be and they don’t apologise to anyone for that. I also think a GirlBoss inspires and builds up other females and people around them.” 

• What should we look forward to with your society this year? 

“HeadstARTS is hoping to continue our classes weekly and try to gain more members and volunteers. We also want to get involved in more intersociety events.” 

• Describe your society in 6 words?  

“Inclusive, compassionate, passionate, addictive, hilarious and fun.” 

My name is Niamh Dunne. I am a 20 year old student in DCU studying Media Studies and Politics. I have a huge passion for writing and fashion. I hope to become a political correspondent for either TV or radio once I have graduated college! x
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!