Style

Budget-friendly Halloween Costumes for Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. Fireworks are cracking and Hocus Pocus is on the TV. For some people, Halloween can be a drag (Christmas, where are you?) and others can’t wait for the spooky festivities to begin. But whether you love  it or hate it, you’re going to need a costume for that party. Here are 5 easy Halloween costume ideas that you can try on a student budget. 

1. Regina George – Mean Girls 

What you’ll need: White tank top, purple bra and black skirt 

Never has such a simple look made such a statement! Recreate that iconic scene from Mean Girls when Regina turns a cruel prank into a fashion trend. This costume is instantly recognisable and you’ll definitely be showered with compliments. Everyone loves Mean Girls, so who wouldn’t love this costume? 

1. Britney Spears – …Baby One More Time 

What you’ll need: White shirt, grey cardigan, black skirt, knee high socks, pink hair ties, red/burgundy bralette or tank top 

It’s time to raid through the old school uniform box! This costume is so simple yet so effective. Your friends or family are bound to have some item of clothing that will help you along with this costume if you’re stuck. You can achieve this iconic look without having to spend a penney! 

1. Hippie 

What you’ll need: Tie-Dye anything, flower headband, coloured sunglasses, flared trousers/jeans, fringe and lots of jewelery 

Who said you couldn’t wear festival clothing in Autumn? Being a hippie is super simple as you can personalise it as much as you want. You can be accurate to the 1960s era with boho trousers and flowers in your hair or wear a tie-dye jumpsuit – the choice is yours. This look can be created with clothes and accessories you already own, so you’ll look fab without breaking the bank. 

1. Rosie the Riveter – ‘We Can Do It’ 

What you’ll need: Blue shirt, red bandana, jeans 

Recreate this iconic look which was used during World War II but is still culturally significant today. It’s a very minimal effort costume, but it’s all about how you wear it. To complete the look, wear a 1940’s makeup look which can be found on Youtube. Be prepared to do the famous pose all night for photos! 

1. Kim Possible  

What you’ll need: Long sleeve black top, khaki/green jeans or pants, brown belt and black gloves (optional) 

Now for something nostalgic. Since Kim Possible is a cartoon, this look is very easy to pull off. You can also get a friend to be her enemy Shego or her best friend/boyfriend Ron Stoppable. If you want to go the extra mile, you can change your ringtone to the shows’ theme song (that has to be possible right?) . 

Hopefully these costumes have given you some ideas as to what you want to be for Halloween. Remember, Halloween doesn’t have to expensive, the best costumes are always homemade and come straight from your wardrobe. 

Instagram: @caoimheforan Twitter: @caoimhe_foran
 21 Campus Correspondent for HC DCU  Love interviewing empowering people to give them the love and attention they deserve!