This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It is safe to say many of us have been picking up old hobbies again during lockdown number I don’t even know anymore. For you it could be reading. Reading is a great way to destress from the long monotonous days of COVID life and also an escape into the lives of other people while they may not be real and you’re not actually there. Anyway, here are a few books that are must reads before 2021 is over.

Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

McQuiston’s debut novel tells the story of Alex Claremont-Diaz, the first son of the female President of the United States, and Henry Fox-Mountchristen-Windsor, the literal Prince of England. When their long-lasting feud finally boils over into a very expensive cake, they must act like friends for the tabloids to repair US/Britain relations. Now as you can probably guess, they get a lot more than repaired international relations from their tiff beside the cake. This book is hilarious, heart breaking and plain witty. It is at the top of my recommendation list every time!

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

When fairly unknown magazine reporter Monique is contacted by THE Evelyn Hugo to write her biography, she is at the very least sceptical. This novel tells the story of Evelyn Hugo, a retired Hollywood movie icon, through her perspective as Monique interviews her for her biography. With a section for each husband, Jenkins Reid takes us through each of Evelyn’s marriages, the trials, the tribulations and of course the divorces. With the story taking place across several decades and a great plot twist, this book is definitely a must read for fans of the Golden Age of Hollywood!

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

The Outsiders depicts two weeks in the life of Ponyboy Curtis, a 14-year-old greaser who struggles with living in a society where he feels he is an outsider. The socs, short for socials, are preppy rich kids who look down on the poorer greasers, meaning Ponyboy always has to watch his back. This story is of friendship, heartache and some very serious law-breaking. At the heart of it all, this novel takes the story of a small town kid and allows for everyone reading to relate to at least one character in some way, make shape or form.

Women Don’t Owe You Pretty by Florence Given

This is one book that has taken the internet by storm in recent months. While it is not a fiction book, I think it deserves a place on this list if not just for its design. Given explores all aspects of feminist conversation from insecurity projection to unpacking the male gaze and how it can shape identities. This book has been widely praised as an accessible leap into feminism and is geared to everyone, no matter where you are on your journey to self-love and self-acceptance. While the book itself includes wonderful pieces of information, it also includes original artwork by the author herself which you can tear out of the book and place anywhere you like so you have a reminder of how amazing you are always!

All in all, this is a very short list. There are millions of books that you may want to read too. These authors, whether their books have been around for a few years or forty years, have written stories that will last the ages and always be there for you.

Senior Editor. Your Culture Vulture. Law and French.
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!