Blue Light Tips for Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Blue light is beginning to put the pressure on students: ‘Am I spending too much time on my phone? And how is it affecting me?’

Recent blog posts and articles are spreading how blue light can keep people awake and be part of the reason why people do not get enough sleep.

Clothing brands are taking advantage of this societal concern and are adding blue light sunglasses to their accessory line. Startups like ‘Klassy Network’ are turning this worry into business opportunities and are solely producing fashionable blue light glasses.

What’s the deal with blue light?

Sunlight is made of a spectrum of coloured light rays. The coloured light ray depends on the wavelength of rays and the energy. However, the blue light rays have the shortest wavelength and highest energy.

This digital eye strain we face in office jobs or during the school year is due to the makeup of our eyes.

Our eyes are made to effectively block the UV rays from the sunlight, however, visible blue light can pass through the eyes (the cornea and lens). This can keep your body alert and awake for hours and cause strain on your eyes. Therefore, screen time at night is a major concern.

Remember, blue light is everywhere. The main source of blue light is sunlight, so we cannot avoid it. Exposure to it during the day is beneficial. They boost your mood and reaction times. Think of it as nature’s wakeup call.

At night, the downfalls to blue light can be:

• Digital eye strain, which can lead to headaches

• May increase risk of macular degeneration, which can lead to blindness

• Trouble falling asleep

How to Avoid Blue Light
  • Wear protective eyewear (Most eyeglass stores sell them. You can even purchase them online.)

• Filters for screens (Usually a tempered glass to protect your eyes – and the screen)

• Shorten your screen time (Easier said than done)

It is best to see a nearby optical shop and express your concerns with blue light. We tend to be careful with what we put on our skin through cosmetics and body creams, but what about our eyes – the human assets we seem to take for granted?

?A Wellness Gumdrop? Helping students BREAK bad habits, SMASH goals and live their BEST LIVES through all things health, manifestation and storytelling? ?CC/Editor in Chief at Dublin City University ?Spreading those goody good vibes with you DCU Global Business Student '20 aziamto.com ig: @azia_mery linkedin.com/in/azia