The Best Podcasts to Listen to During Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

This is a strange time for everyone, all over the world. Shops, restaurants, bars and  schools are shutting down one by one and there is uncertainty and anxiety aplenty.  No one quite seems to know what to do, apart from staying at home and washing your hands, of course. 

With that uncertainty, often comes a lot of scrolling through news apps for the latest news, stats and figures of COVID-19 and the effects it is having upon the world. It can be a tough time for many reasons for many people. A good way to keep your mind off the bad stuff that’s happening and keeping yourself in good spirits is a good podcast.  

Here is a run-down of some of the podcasts that we’ve have discovered lately to keep you entertained and your spirits up during this tough time.  

Sh*gged, Married, Annoyed – Chris and Rosie Ramsey 

This hilarious podcast is simple: a husband and wife sit down together each week and discuss everything under the sun, based on their ‘beefs’ with each other, and questions from the public. With excellent comedic storytelling, this Geordie pair will have you in stitches and will brighten up any dull day spent inside.  

The Unpopular Opinion – Jen Hatton and Karla K  

This podcast hosted by two Dublin girls, is exactly what it says on the tin: each episode has a different theme and the pair share their own opinions, stories and thoughts surrounding all manner of topics from controversial to benign. Both humorous and thought provoking, this podcast is a good alternative to listening to the news.  

No Such Thing as a Fish – BBC Q.I Elves 

If you know and love Q.I, you will love this podcast too. Each week, the panellists or ‘elves’ will bring you a variety of true and accurate facts about the most random of topics that they learnt about during the week. This podcast will not only put a smile on your face but will hopefully leave you with something you didn’t know before. 

Potterless – Mike Schubert 

If you’re a Harry Potter fan and want to relive what it was like to read about the world of Harry Potter for the first time, look no further than Potterless. This podcast follows Mike Schubert, someone who has never read or seen any Harry Potter, reading the whole series for the very first time. With each episode focusing on a few chapters at time, there is plenty to keep you going during self-isolation that will also feed your nostalgic Harry Potter cravings. 

My Favourite Murder – Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark 

If, during all this, you still need your true crime fix, My Favourite Murder, is a funny and non-creepy podcast about just that. The hosts, Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, take turns discussing any and all crime, be it famous or not, solved or unsolved, that they are secretly fascinated by.  

Owning It: The Anxiety Podcast – Caroline Foran 

If you are struggling with anxiety, be it during COVID-19 times or not, this podcast is great for those who need some guidance for dealing with their anxiety. Based on a bestselling book, this gentle and practical podcast gives listeners tips, coping skills, and real and relatable insight that can be used to de-stress and will help in owning one’s anxiety.  

No matter the topic that you’re interested in, there is a podcast for you. Take some time out from the news, put on a good podcast and you’ll be entertained for hours. 

21 year old journalism student
Campus Correspondent for HC DCU. Just a Dublin girl with a passion for writing, books, sport and bad teen tv shows.