This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

If you are beginning to plan your return to on-campus student accommodation, adding plants to your room is a great way to bring colour and life to your space. Houseplants are fantastic for sprucing up your décor, and are known to lift your mood, increase productivity and even purify the air. However, not all plants are suited to college dorms; your busy college schedule means that low-maintenance houseplants are ideal! 

Here are some low maintenance, easy-to-care-for houseplants that will breathe life into your room!

Succulents 

If you are looking for small, pretty plants that you set and forget about, succulents are perfect? In order to grow succulents, you will need a window with plenty of sun, or alternatively, you could set up a small grow plant on your windowsill. Succulents do not require much water, and would certainly survive assignment season without being watered. Plus there are hundreds to choose from!

Light: Full sun

Water: Water when the soil is bone dry 

Snake Plant 

Snake plants are the ultimate low maintenance plant. Low light, low water and slow-growing, they are pretty much impossible to kill, and will be perfectly happy to sit in the corner of your dorm room where nothing quite seems to ‘go’. Snake plants come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, and so you can definitely find a variety which matches your personal style! 

Light: Bright to low light 

Water: Water when the soil is fully dry 

Heart Leaf (Philodendron) 

Philodendrons are a large variant of flowering plants which are very popular as houseplants thanks to their low maintenance nature! They do very well in low-light locations and are drought-tolerant, and are great choices for any student room. 

Light: Bright to low light

Water: Water when the soil is fully dry 

Aloe Vera 

While aloe vera plants are technically succulents, they definitely deserve a mention of their own. These are very popular for students, as they are easy to grow and care for and can adapt well to many lighting conditions. Allow vera is very drought-tolerant and does best to be left alone. In fact, overwatering can quickly lead to root rot, so ensure that the soil is fully dry before watering. Plus, the juice from the aloe vera leaves have soothing qualities, and can be applied to treat burns and scrapes on the skin! 

Light: Medium to direct light is best

Water: Water once the soil is bone dry 

Money Tree 

Money trees are a fantastic choice for daring room decoration. Money trees are often grown and have a braided trunk effect, and can resemble typical bonsai. While it doesn’t actually grow money, these plants give a sophisticated air to your student apartment. If you are prone to overwatering, money trees are a great option as they are pretty immune to overwatering. 

Light: Bright to indirect light

Water: Water when the top 2-4 inches of soil are dry

Whether you’re new to the plant world or you have a seasoned green thumb, there are plenty of options when it comes to choosing the perfect potted plants to elevate your student dorm. From mini succulents to money trees, bringing a touch of green to your room is a perfect way to create your home away from home!

Economics Politics and Law student in DCU. Lover of creamy pints and wishful thinking :)
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!