Being your most authentic self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Your mind is literally always changing, it could be different day to the day not only in what you’re thinking but how you think about it. Lately, there’s been a lot more talk than usual on not having a sense of self. 

But just because you don’t have a sense of self, it doesn’t mean that you are not someone with your own individual thoughts feelings and preferences. It’s so easy to get lost in the sea of Relatable Content / Humour that maybe you wonder if you’re just the same as everybody else.  

Here are some suggestions on how you can discover your individuality in an authentic way, and keep it at the front of your mind enough so that you can live your life as authentically as possible. 

1. Buy clothes that you like! 

Not clothes that you think will look good or that match the style of one of your pals, but if you see a top and go “oh that’s nice I like it!” Don’t think “oh it wouldn’t suit me” or “it would stick out too much”, buy and wear things you like because you like them. Over time, your own style will develop from the collection of things you actually enjoy wearing!  

2. Don’t hold back when you have something to say 

This doesn’t just mean in class or with your parents, but with the people that you hang out with too. If you’re afraid to say what you want and you don’t think you can have an honest conversation with the people you spend your time with, do you really want to keep it up? 

3. Read extensively 

Learn about things you always wanted to know more about, read essays and articles from people you like – feminists, journalists, artists, bloggers. 

Don’t shove down your desires anymore. You’re strong enough to be your true self. These tips are just a starting stone. 

Photo by Matteo Vistocco on Unsplash

Just a 21 year old journalism student that is passionate about a hell of a lot of things
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.