This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Whether it’s Halloween that’s got you feeling all makeup creative, or you just simply want to let out your inner Keilidh Cashell, we’ve got you. 

Using SFX (special effects) makeup can be so daunting at first but it is a great way to express yourself and just get creative. Finding the right SFX products can be hard, especially if you just want to try your hand at special effects. Spending over the odds on products may turn you off purchasing some new bits but sometimes the price doesn’t always equal the quality. As a student and only working part-time, splashing the cash on expensive products just isn’t feasible for us so finding good quality products at a low price is the aim here.

One brand that seems to be a go-to for a lot of makeup artists is Snazaroo. Snazaroo has everything from face paint, to wax, to spirit gum and even fake blood to create those realistic looking scars and cuts and bruises. 

Playing around with SFX is all trial and error. Start by creating little scars on your hands and arms, play around with what techniques work best for you. These can range from softening the wax in your hand first or just working the wax onto the skin and softening it that way. 

Finding the right brushes and tools to use is all down to preference as well. Some people like to use a small makeup spatula, some prefer to use their fingers or nails. Again, this process is completely up to you. Only YOU know what works for you so have fun with it and figure it out along the way.

Snazaroo is a great option for affordable SFX makeup but don’t be afraid to pop into your local Dealz or discount store to see what Halloween makeup and SFX products they have on offer. As a Makeup Artist myself, I found when I was training, that sometimes the face paint and wax you can pick up in your local discount store is just as good as what you can pay over the odds for. 

However, before you get cracking with SFX makeup there are some very handy tips to take into consideration. Like any type of makeup, SFX products will be going on your skin and more importantly on your face. Your skin is very delicate and sensitive to products sometimes so test your products out. Whether you’ve paid big bucks for them or you’ve got them in your local discount shop, test any product on a small part of your skin to make sure you won’t get any irritation from the products used. 

Another very important thing to remember is the removal of SFX after you’ve had your fun. We all know how important removing makeup is at the end of the day but removing SFX makeup properly is even more important. Certain things can be difficult to remove and you of course want to be gentle with your skin, so using an oil-based makeup remover like the Clinique “Take the Day Off” cleansing balm is sure to get rid of any difficult to remove SFX products from your face and leave you feeling fresh. Oil-based makeup removers are also a fantastic way of preventing staining on your face from face paint and fake blood. We all know what it’s like when you’ve used a vibrant eyeshadow or face paint and your face is left stained for days afterwards. Oil-based makeup removers are amazing for preventing this.

Playing around with SFX is all about having fun. Don’t be too hard on yourself if it doesn’t work out the first time. Have fun and practice always makes perfect!

💫 22 📍Leitrim, Ireland 📸 Social Media Officer at @hercampusdcu 🎓 BA Communication Studies DCU