A Beginners Guide to Crystals and Crystal Healing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Crystals. They’re the beautiful stones that come in a range of shapes, sizes, and colours. Maybe you stumbled across them after finding yourself on the Wiccan side of TikTok on a particularly long day of scrolling. Well, you don’t have to be a Wiccan to benefit from crystals in fact, anyone can use them but where to start can be overwhelming. Hopefully this article can help demystify these stones.

Firstly, crystals and crystal healing are not new phenomenon, in fact they have been around for thousands of years. Evidence of their use can be found as far back as 4000 BC in Mesopotamia. The Ancient Sumerians believed that if something negative occurred using a specific stone would combat the effect. 

Enough of the history lessons though, how do I choose my crystals? Well, that depends on what you personally want. There are so many different types with different uses and specific benefits (some even have more than one!) it really is all up to the individual. 

For someone new to the world of crystals clear quartz is an ideal starting point (and a personal favourite!). This stone is a great all-rounder. It’s said to amplify energy flow and bring balance to the body. Not only this but it can bring clarity to the user and dispel negative thoughts. Quite a bit for one little rock. 

Now to get specific, many people use crystals to relieve stress and calm their nerves so for this, look towards something like amethyst. Not only does it come in a range of beautiful purple tones, but it’s also known for its amazing ability to help clear your mind and combat negative thoughts. If you’re not really feeling the purple though there are other options. How about something speckled like sodalite? This stone comes with the added benefit of simulating both self-confidence and expression.

Crystals can also be used for protection from negative thoughts and energies. If this sounds like something you’re looking for look no further than black tourmaline. This stone is said to banish negative energy and thoughts. Due to it being such a magnet for good vibes it can also help reveal stress and pressure, a little added bonus. There is basically a crystal for anything you can think of all it takes is a little research and you’ll find what you’re looking for. 

The next question is how to look after them. One of the most basic aspects of crystal care is cleansing. I know this might sound complicated, but it really doesn’t have to be.

Cleansing your crystals is important to get rid of any bad energies that they made have absorbed and to keep them working effectively. There are many methods but one of the easiest is leaving your stones in saltwater overnight. All you have to do is fill a container with water, add a pinch of salt and pop your crystals in. This is not recommended for more delicate stones such as pyrite. In this case try placing them under the moonlight.

Now you’ve got the knowledge the next step is where to get your crystals. You don’t have to look much further than Yellow Brick Road. The shop is located on Bachelors Walk in Dublin but also has a website with an extensive range to choose from. If you’re looking for something a bit different, why not check out Wandering Soul Jewellery? This Irish business makes beautiful, handcrafted pieces using the stones. 

Whatever you decide, there is no wrong way to get into crystals. There is something for everyone, so give it a try!

Second year journalism student in DCU.
BA in Economics, Politics and Law DCU. Currently studying European Union Law in The University of Amsterdam. Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DCU 2020/2021!