This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

One of the many struggles every college girl deals with is trying to keep up with the popular makeup and clothing trends that alternate between spring/summer and autumn/winter. With circulating seasons, new products come and go both in both high end and drugstore.   Summer is upon us which means a minimal, dewy look is always on trend. To achieve that natural looking, sun-kissed skin we need not splash the cash. There are so many great affordable dupes of our favourite high end products in pharmacies nationwide for a fraction of the high-end price.    Starting with a base is always a good idea to give your makeup more lasting wear, especially in any humid weather. Depending on your skin type, choose a suitable primer. The Smashbox Photo Finish (€31.50) primer has been a favourite of many makeup artists. However, you can get a very similar product for a fraction of the price, Maybelline Baby Skin (€9.99). Both products have the same functions and work just as good!    For a day time look, I’d recommend opting for minimal makeup. A BB or CC cream is perfect for during the day because it’s not too heavy on your skin, allowing it to breathe. The Urban Decay One & Done (€33) is a very sheer coverage, tinted moisturiser. It’s one of those low maintenance products that evens out the skin tone that everyone needs in their makeup kit. However, if you’re not willing to splurge, opt for the Rimmel London 9-in-1 Skin Perfecting Cream (€8.40). With a sheer base, use concealers to add extra coverage where needed. Nars Radiant Cream Concealer (€28) is the perfect concealer to hide any discolouration in the skin, blemishes or dark circles. Likewise, with the Maybelline Fit Me concealer (€8.99), it works wonders.  

When heading out on the town or attending an occasion, use a foundation you know that serves you well. Something that pictures well and is guaranteed to last. Estee Lauder Double Wear (€40) will not move until you are ready to wipe your face clean. Although it is very high coverage, the foundation itself is lightweight. If you don’t fancy spending, Revlon Colour Stay (€18.99) is an exact replica at half the price.     There is such a variety of eyeshadow singlets and palettes to choose from that it’s almost overwhelming. Brown and warm tone eyeshadows are most flattering on every eye colour. My number one recommendation is the Urban Decay Naked Palette (€47.50). Although it is expensive, it is so worth it for a palette of 12 eyeshadows. A mix of mattes, satins and shimmers. W7 In the Buff or Lightly Toasted (€6) are both very good palettes and extremely affordable prices to match a student budget.  

For a healthy, dewy look, a liquid highlighter gives off a more natural glow. By patting into the skin before or after applying foundation, it appears more natural. An all-time classic is Mac Strobe cream (€34) which is available in many pearlescent shades. Luckily, Penney’s makeup range has upped their game and have released two shades of a very similar product, PS Strobing Cream (€4). Both products are very similar in both texture and shades. 

The craze of eyebrows will never end, and after seeing photos from ‘the non-existent brow’ phase I’m sure we’re all happy about it. It can be difficult to choose from a brow pencil, gel or powder because there is such a variety. A personal favourite is brow gels, they tend to last longer and are generally waterproof. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pomade (€19.99) was a hot favourite amongst makeup artists but there are alternatives that work just as well like NYX Tame and Frame (€8) which is available in an array of shades and tones.  

You can never have enough nude lipsticks sitting in your makeup bag. To get the perfect shape, use a lip liner. Mac Whirl lip pencil (€17.50) is the perfect universal shade, it will match all those pink and brown nude lipsticks. Penney’s PS Lip Liner Pencil in Desert Sand (€1.50) is one of my everyday lip liners and it is almost identical to Mac’s Whirl. When it comes to lipstick, Kylie Jenner started the craze of Mac Velvet Teddy (€20) which is the ideal nude. Although you need not splurge on Mac when there are plenty of dupes like Wet n Wild Bare it All (€3), Rimmel London Kate 03 (€6), Revlon Matte Lipstick Mauve it Over (€9.50) and Essence Long Lasting Lipstick 06 Barely There (€3). 

It always nice to keep things simple and natural during the summer, like letting your freckles come through with a sheer foundation.  Wearing a heavy-duty foundation on hot and sweaty days is not good for anyone’s skin. No matter what beauty product you adore but just afford, have a look out for some dupes!  

But there you have it, something minimal but still dewy and fresh looking on a budget. Be confident in your skin, and don’t be afraid to bare it all and have those makeup free days! 

Photo by freestocks.org

Communication Studies student. 20 years of age.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.