Be Bold This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

My interest in makeup has grown over the past few years and I’ve come to appreciate the artistry and talent that exists in this field. Like a painter, the face is a canvas for the makeup artist. It can be a form of self-expression and has the ability to make bold statements. There are many beauty trends to inspire some creativity for my fellow makeup lovers, so don’t be afraid to add some flair to your look this season and have a little fun with your makeup kit. According to the top beauty gurus from Vogue to Elle, here are the top trends to look out for and try your hand at: 

Winter season is all about a dark bold lip and there’s so many beautiful shades to choose from: reds, purples, berries, browns, you name it. Smudged lips were a twist on the classic bold lip and a big hit on the runways. It basically resembled the look you sport on your way home in the back of a taxi on a Saturday night. This is an interesting statement showcased this season and is inspired by a “just kissed” effect which gives the lips a messy, hued effect. Many artists used red or purple shades and created a blurred appearance around the edge of the lips to give a sexy, imperfectly perfect look.  

Keeping in line with the smudged “I just woke up like this” look, the black and bold eyeliner made a return. Kohl black eyeliner was used on the waterline and around the eyes teamed with a neutral lip. The liner was smudged out to rock a grungy, rebellious vibe. These artists are focused on the allure of the imperfect this season and attempt to ditch the classical, and perhaps ‘boring’, flicks and the basic smoky eye.  

My personal favourite was the colour-blocked eyes, which were another fun trend that mixed different shades to create a rainbow effect. The complete opposite of the beloved smoky eye, this trend combined colour and originality and layered different shadows on the lid or used contrasting liners and eyeshadows to bring this bold statement look to life.  

Although these trends are not your average everyday makeup look, they embody the experimental creativity that this industry strives to promote. Makeup is not only used to make you look good on a night out, it’s also an art form and the talent showcased on runways and photoshoots are prime examples of the enormous scope for imagination and creative expression. It’s all about breaking the rules and standing out. Don’t be afraid to be a little different, add a pop of colour and try new looks! 

Photo by ian dooley on Unsplash

Final year DCU Media and English Student
Journalism student in Dublin City University with a passion for creating, storytelling, styling and presenting.