neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Bangkok Tips and Mistakes to Avoid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

A typical trip to Thailand often consists of hopping from island to island to lay on (and party on) different beaches around the Thai Gulf. But don’t pass on Bangkok as it is something that you should not miss when travelling to Thailand. The ancient city holds so much for party-goers and sight-seers alike, but there are also certain things to know before you get there. 

Stay on or near Koh San Road 

It is most likely that the purpose of your trip to Bangkok is to absorb to unique sights. Staying near Koh San Road means that the crazy nightlife of Bangkok is at your doorstep but also means that most of the ancient temples are a short walk or tuk-tuk ride away. If you have booked accommodation in another area of the city, do not fret. Bangkok has an amazing public transport system of buses, boats that run through the river and canals and the ‘Skytrain’ that make the whole city accessible no matter where you stay. 

Take a trip to Sukhumvit  

Although there is much awe and wonder to be found in the older area of the city, the cosmopolitan area of Sukhumvit is definitely worth paying a visit to for its rooftop bars where you can overlook the city from 50 stories up. If you are planning on including this in your trip, be wary that it will be a bit more expensive for food and drink (but by no means as expensive as Irish prices). 

Be cautious of your drinking 

One of the appeals for party animals visiting Bangkok is the vodka buckets sold on Koh San Road, at only around 200 Thai Baht. Basically, this is a sand bucket that you can buy full of vodka and Red Bull with a straw in it. With many opportunities for regretful decisions on this street, such as hair braids and henna tattoos, it is probably a good idea to be extra careful with your alcohol intake. 

Walk from sight to sight 

Most temples and monuments are located within walking distance from each other, so bring a map and walk from sight to sight. Many tuk-tuk drivers will try to take you to some sights, telling you that they will give you a cheap rate of 400 or 500 Baht, and then when you get there you may find it would have taken just 10 minutes to walk. You should also note that when visiting these ancient sights, it is important to act respectable and discreet and you will often have to cover your legs and shoulders. 

Be adventurous with food 

With the likes of McDonald’s, KFC, Dominos and other familiar food chains scattered across Bangkok, it is easy to just eat what you would eat at home. But Bangkok is an amazing opportunity to try different traditional Thai dishes. Whether it is in a restaurant or street food, Bangkok holds plenty of opportunity for your palette to explore different spices and flavours. If you wanted to be extra adventurous, you could try the grilled scorpions that are sold on the street.  

Journalism student in Dublin City University with a passion for creating, storytelling, styling and presenting.