Autumn Playlist 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It’s the time of year to break out the woolly jumpers and fluffy socks, sit by the fire and drink some hot chocolate. Autumn is a fan favourite of mine, for the aesthetic and comfort that comes with it. But just before you start carving pumpkins and collecting chestnuts, help yourself create an even better, cosier atmosphere with some wholesome, acoustic tunes for your Autumn playlist that’ll warm you up as the nights get colder! 

Autumn – Paolo Nutini 

Surely everyone is familiar with Paolo Nutini by now with tunes like Last Request and Pencil Full of Lead. His husky voice and Scottish accent really play well with the seasonal vibes you want to create this time of year. His entire discography has a very autumnal feel to it, but it made sense to choose his song Autumn for this playlist for obvious reasons! It’s a wonderfully soft, quiet song with only a simple solo piano accompaniment that paints a really beautiful picture of the leaves falling.   

There Will Be Time – Mumford and Sons ft. Baaba Maal 

Even more well-known are Mumford and Sons with such folk-rock tunes as Little Lion Man and The Cave. However, their collaboration with Senegalese singer and guitarist Baaba Maal makes it an unbelievable fusion of banjo and African drums. This song gets added to the playlist , firstly for being a new release from everyone’s favourite folk band (that deserves more recognition) and secondly there’s something really cosy about it that warms your heart to listen to. 

End of the Affair – Ben Howard 

Ben Howard is basically the king of sad songs that you can’t stop playing. Though this song gets a little abstract towards the end, it HAS to make the playlist just for his guitar playing. Howard tunes his guitar a little differently making the song sound almost dream-like. There’s a warmth to his voice that’s so comforting to hear, like sitting by the fire on a cold autumn night. If you like this tune, you should try out Old Pine and, perhaps a little brighter, Keep Your Head Up. 

Ophelia – The Lumineers 

To liven the playlist up a little, I threw in a smooth, memorable tune by The Lumineers (A.K.A That band that sing Ho-Hey). Ophelia from the album Cleopatra is quite cheerful with a catchy rhythm. Listen out for the insane piano playing and bluesy vibes as you unintentionally tap your foot along. The Lumineers are a very autumnal-sounding band anyway, so if you’re looking for more like this, try their songs Cleopatra and Stubborn Love. 

(No One Knows Me) Like the Piano – Sampha  

If you’ve never heard of him before, Sampha is a British singer-songwriter who has worked with artists like Kanye, Solange and Drake. His album Process came out earlier this year, one of the many standouts from which, being this beautiful ballad. It’s a perfect song to wind down with after a long day with a cup of hot chocolate as his raw vocals and Bon Iver – style harmonies put you at ease. 

Skinny Love – Bon Iver 

Speaking of Bon Iver, his classic Skinny Love from the album For Emma, Forever Ago must be added to this playlist if only for its comfort factor. Some of you may be more familiar with Birdy’s rendition of Skinny Love which, though haunting, is a little too depressing and emotional. Though the original version carries the same message, it is a little more upbeat with soft guitar strums that thaw out Bon Iver’s chilling harmonies. 

White Winter Hymnal – Fleet Foxes 

Despite the name, White Winter Hymnal is just as acceptable to add to an Autumn playlist. It is great in helping to introduce a colder atmosphere as the days get shorter and the nights get frostier. It’s the falsetto backing vocals and tight harmonies that really make this simple song so memorable. If you want to hear more of this American indie-folk band, try listening to Mykonos or Blue Ridge Mountains. 

I Need My Girl – The National 

There’s something about the electric guitar in this song that is almost like a lullaby; repetitive, yet simple and soothing. Lead singer Matt Berninger’s voice is so deep and rough, you can hear so much emotion in each crack in his vocals. Such a harsh voice singing so softly will put you at ease immediately and warm your soul like a big fluffy blanket. The National, though they’ve been going for nearly a decade, are starting to gain a little more popularity at the moment, so feel free to jump on the bandwagon before the crowds and try listening to The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness and Don’t Swallow the Cap. 

Sweater Weather – The Neighbourhood 

This is essential for your autumn playlist as we find ourselves during sweater weather. You MUST recognise the catchy beat to this song. Sweater Weather was a big hit in 2013 for its sweet, simple lyrics and unexpected rapping. It’s the most unique track on this list because of its computer-generated beats but don’t worry, it still fits in perfectly with the overall crisp, cosy vibes. 

Big Jet Plane – Angus and Julia Stone  

I’m finishing this list off with this romantic, relaxing tune by Australian brother and sister Angus and Julia Stone. The song has featured in many TV Series and Advertisements to help portray emotional or soothing atmospheres. I chose this song because of how soft and dreamy it is. There’s something whimsical that the strings bring to the song that make you feel like you’re flying.

Photo by Alphacolor 13 on Unsplash

Journalism student in Dublin City University with a passion for creating, storytelling, styling and presenting.