jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Before-and-after pictures can be ‘Extremely dangerous’ for people with eating disorders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

Images of emaciated bodies in before-and-after pictures “can be extremely dangerous” for eating disorder patients and the stigma that surrounds the disease, according to sufferers.

“Before and after photos of seriously emaciated people” can have a damaging effect on eating disorder patients, especially during Eating Disorder Awareness Week.

Sarah*, a 23-year-old student from Waterford, who has a history of Bulimia nervosa said that because of the photos “people may think they are not “sick enough” until they [look like someone’s] before picture”.

There is a surge in the posting of before-and-after recovery images during Eating Disorder Awareness Week in the effort to raise awareness, but these photos may be furthering the stigma that “one size fits all” for eating disorders.

“An individual may find it helpful for them to be able to look back on how far they have come which I completely understand but… on the other hand I think that recovery can also be measured in so many other ways,” said Sarah.

“[Underweight] pictures [do not encompass] all eating disorders and I think that needs to be emphasised during EDAW,” she added.

“Physical changes only reflect a part of someone’s story” said The Eating Disorders Association of Ireland, BodyWhys.

“It is important [to keep in mind that] recovery encompasses a range of issues” and that weight is not the only indicator of how a patient is doing.

BodyWhys “discourage” the media use of images of a person at a very low weight, as they can “reinforce the stereotype of eating disorders as necessarily involving weight loss”.

Pictures “can be triggering for those affected by an eating disorder, and for those at risk of developing an eating disorder, as it may be seen as an ideal to strive for”.

Although Anorexia nervosa is the most well-known eating disorder, it is in fact the least common with only 0.9% of women and 0.3% of men affected by it, according to BodyWhys.

Other Specified Feeding and Eating Disorders (OSFED) is the most prevalent disorder, affecting up to six percent of the population in America according to the Eating Recovery Centre.

OSFED includes atypical anorexia – where patients have anorexia but are not clinically underweight – and Binge Eating Disorder, which involves uncontrollable overeating and is an illness that causes obesity in sufferers.

In 2016, one-quarter of people who used the BodyWhys support groups had OSFED.

During the same year, 51% of all people seeking support from the BodyWhys helpline were not receiving any form of medical or psychiatric treatment.

Eating Disorder Awareness Week aims to promote awareness about all types of eating disorders and to encourage sufferers, both male and female, to look for help.

“I think [the week] can be a benefit for patients and for people who have not yet received treatment to know [that] there is help out there,” said Sarah.

“There are positives from the week to aid recovery and to aid a person in having the courage to finally ask for help,” she added.

Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2018 runs from February 26th to March 4th.

If you, or someone you know, is affected by an eating disorder please contact BodyWhys on 1890 200 444 or www.bodywhys.ie

* Name changed

Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.