Life > Experiences

4 Halloween Activities To Do In Dublin With Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

As Halloween starts slowly creeping up on us, one thing students look forward to after a long semester is their one weekend of freedom. Halloween is undoubtedly the unofficial official college holiday for us. It is the perfect time to take the weekend off and leave behind the stresses of studying. However, with that, it is hard to find the time to endlessly scroll through Google for the best events for you and your friends. Even harder for you all to agree on something! 

Fear not, this year, we have put together a list of the perfect Halloween activities in Dublin for you and your friends!

Themed Parties 

Everyone has that one friend who is obsessed with group costumes. Every year they drag everyone around Halloween stores trying to hunt down the most iconic costumes. Of course, you then spend so much time looking for costumes, you have nowhere to wear them. Themed parties in Dublin are the best places to show off your costumes:

1. Somewhere Else Halloween Ball: This year, event producers, Somewhere Else are hosting their annual Halloween Ball in The Grand Social in Dublin’s city centre. Featuring the talented DJ, Mark Blair the Halloween Ball is bound to deliver a night of fun and entertainment. It has also been announced that prizes for best dressed will be awarded throughout the night! So, bring your friends along to dance the night away in your (hopefully) prize-winning costume!
  1. O’Reilly’s Halloween Fancy Dress Ball: Known as “Dublin’s Wildest Halloween Night” is back this year! If you prefer a haunted house vibe, this is the party for you! With their terrifying decor, confetti and foam, you and your friends are bound to have a good time. Massive prizes are also being awarded for best dressed. Unsurprisingly, the event sells out every year, so grab your tickets ASAP!

Halloween Markets

If you’re anything like me, you excel at planning everything at the very last minute. Shopping is one of the easiest activities to plan and one of my personal favourites. Dublin is great for hosting Halloween-themed flea markets annually. Whether you are trying to put together a last-minute costume for the night, or just need an excuse to shop (I know I do!) Dublin has it all. The Grand Social is yet again hosting a Halloween-themed event. They host a number of small businesses with 25+ sellers where you can find everything from fashion to arts and crafts. If that isn’t convincing enough, the event is totally free to get in!

Drive-in Cinemas

For horror movie addicts, it is easy to sit in bed and watch a scary movie on Netflix. If you and your friends want to switch it up this year, drive-in movies are the way to do it! Dublin’s Retro+ Drive-In Movies is screening your favourite classics this Halloween season. A horror movie is bound to get you and your friends into the Halloween spirit the quickest. From The Grinch to Scream, Dublin’s Drive-In has it all! 

Drink and Draw

For the artists of the group, there are always arts and crafts events happening in Dublin during the Halloween season. Pumpkin carving is a classic that you can do with your friends at home or outdoors. If you’re looking for something a bit more sophisticated, Dublin hosts many ‘Drink & Draw’ events. Grá Bar is hosting a ‘Paint Scream’ event for all the horror film lovers out there. Bar Eile is also hosting a fun ‘Neon Painting’ event, where attendees paint Halloween-themed canvas using fluorescent paint. Both events require no painting experience, so don’t worry if you’re not at Vincent van Gogh’s level!

Most importantly of all, make sure to have fun and get some rest before exam season sneaks up on you…

20 year old law student. HerCampus DCU Editor in Chief